• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smoke from the engine

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
My XJ has not really been driven for about 5 or 6 months becuase the brakes are shot and it hasn't been a priority to get that truck running.

I start it up and let it idle and will take it out and drive around our subdivision. Every once in awhile it even gets to visit the garage for a night! Lucky jeep!

Anyway, I fired it up today, and it was hesitant and I had to let it idle with a little gas for a few minutes before it would idle on it's own. I let it run for about 15 minutes while I fiddled around with other things...read: took off all the stupid manufacturers stickers I stuck to the window.

After about 15 minutes, I noticed a wisp of smoke coming out of the engine bay. I left the hood open while it idled.

I traced it (on the 2.8 V6) to somehere near the donut gasket that connects the manifold and exhaust pipe.

After shutting the hood, I continued to listen and watch and soon saw white smoke coming out from under the Jeep. Again I got on my knees and it appeared to be coming again from that same general location.

Here are a few things that I thought of right away.

1. I am burning oil. But there is nothing coming from the tail pipe so I imagine not.
2. I am leaking oil or another fluid onto hot exhaust components
3. I have an exhaust leak and that is just hot exhaust escaping
4. I parked it with about 1/4 tank of fuel and I have condensation in the fuel and it is burning out

What do you all think? Where should my attack be to get this figured out and fixed.

And please, although this group tends to be somewhat...ok...very anti-2.8, the fact is that some of us have them and some of us don't mind them, so "Swap in a new engine," while it is an option, is not viable or under consideration.

Thanks

Most likely oil or other stuff burning off the hot exhaust. You might be able to tell from the smell if it happens again. Since it's been sitting for several months, consider the possibility that various small animals have been using your engine as a place to nest, store nuts, and urinate.

Back