• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removable doors

y-townxj

NAXJA Forum User
i am in the process of makeing my doors on my xj removable but i wasnt shure if you can use the factory pins because some people say to but mine have bin givven me trouble it is really hard to get the door to slide out do you think it might be binding up like the hinges arnt alighned so they mess each other up please post if you have any idea

That or take a drill to the jeep side hinge and wallow em out just a bit. also cut off that one that stops it from swinging, it always gets in my way. since i drilled them out, they have gotten kinda sloppy i need to realign them next time i have em off.

I did that to my doors, and it's really not that hard to get the doors off, its just getting them back on that is tough. If you've got two people though, you should be alright. Just make sure you don't take off the bolts from the hinges, since it will be extremely hard to line everything back up perfectly. For the passenger side, you cut the hinge at the bottom, but then you pound out the pin since it is pointing upwards, and you really want it to face downwards, in order to make them removeable. If you've got air tools, it makes cutting the hinges MUCH easier than with a sawzall or a dremel tool. Totally worth the effort though

had a day off because of snow so i went and finished my hinges the reasin it was so hard to get them on is becausae the hinges were binding up so i just tightned the bolts put the doors on and lossend them once they were on and tightend them up after the forced themselves in place ijust wanted post to help anyone with the same problem o and i allso drilled the holes out a bit thanks for all the info

I got rid of my factory pins and used grade 8, 1/4-20 x 4" zinc plated bolts from the hardware store. Cut the bolt at the correct length within the shank part of the bolt without threads and shave the ends to give them a cone shape. This helps with alignment. Leave the bronze bushings in place, the bolt's shank diameter is a perfect fit without slop or being too tight. Tack weld the bolt heads to the hinge being careful not to get any welding spatter on the bolt/pin surfaces. Properly aligned, you shouldn't be able to tell the hinges were ever modified.

Alignment of the doors and hinges is a breeze if you use a torx bit and long extension throught the wheel well. Latch the door fully closed, prop it up with wooden shims on the rocker to get your bodylines right, and tighten the two outer bolts throught the wheelwell. Put the third bolt in each hinge afterwards, and your doors should fit same as before.

Heres some picks of my 94 2-door sport modified for doorless;

285350313ZfxKyi_ph.jpg
This is the body showing the factory reinforcment bracket after the hinge almost broke off
285350360WFTmfi_th.jpg
This is the modified door hinge
285350412yBVNUh_th.jpg
side
285350486XJmONl_ph.jpg
side

Back