• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sending out an SOS

xjmyjeep

NAXJA Member #506
As hard as this may be to comprehend, I was/and am now again having issues with the transmission on my AM 93' XJ.

Thought it might be time enough to change out the filter (it did need to be change), take care of the fluid (which need to be changed), and the car ran alright for awhile. In the morning after the car sat warming up, it still when I tried to accelerate shifted into second late and at a high rpm. I passed by that problem and was greeted with a light noise from the trans, and then the other day drove down rt. 83 like I do everyday, and had to push my car into the oak brook parking lot (I work at Eddie Bauer in Oak Brook) because as soon as the car came to a stop, it chose to not engage in 1st. Then, to get home I called upon my buddy with a stock xj to hook up to my custom 4x4 fr. Bumper (Thank you custom 4x4), and used a wonderful tow strap in his hitch to pull me back down rt. 83 (thought i saw an lifted xj speed by us). Have an appointment at Contin. Jeep in Countryside for Mon., but want to see if I could call in a favor and have someone experienced with just XJ's take a look at it and help me out. Or even just a post on here with something that it might be.

I'm thinking a pump went out in my trans...not completely sure though.

I also have parts for the extra lift I want on my car as well that I want to get on, and it's getting me pissed off that the car doesn't move.

ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all, as always

-Dan

Last edited:
Try sending a message in a bottle to the OEM tech forum.

xjmyjeep said:
As hard as this may be to comprehend, I was/and am now again having issues with the transmission on my AM 93' XJ.

Thought it might be time enough to change out the filter (it did need to be change), take care of the fluid (which need to be changed), and the car ran alright for awhile. In the morning after the car sat warming up, it still when I tried to accelerate shifted into second late and at a high rpm. I passed by that problem and was greeted with a light noise from the trans, and then the other day drove down rt. 83 like I do everyday, and had to push my car into the oak brook parking lot (I work at Eddie Bauer in Oak Brook) because as soon as the car came to a stop, it chose to not engage in 1st. Then, to get home I called upon my buddy with a stock xj to hook up to my custom 4x4 fr. Bumper (Thank you custom 4x4), and used a wonderful tow strap in his hitch to pull me back down rt. 83 (thought i saw an lifted xj speed by us). Have an appointment at Contin. Jeep in Countryside for Mon., but want to see if I could call in a favor and have someone experienced with just XJ's take a look at it and help me out. Or even just a post on here with something that it might be.

I'm thinking a pump went out in my trans...not completely sure though.

I also have parts for the extra lift I want on my car as well that I want to get on, and it's getting me pissed off that the car doesn't move.

ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all, as always

-Dan
I'll see what I can do.

Okay, what has happened is, just like brake pads have chirpers to let you know that it's time to do your brakes, the transmission, as well as the transfer case and the rear and front differentials have noise makers to remind you of service intervals. The erratic shifting is from the tranny being in "limp mode".

First, you'll need to go out and disconnect the positive battery cable, wait 30 seconds, and connect it back.

Second, since it is an automatic, The proper ignition sequence for resetting the transmission is:
Turn the key to the on position and wait 5 seconds, then turn it off for 5 seconds. Next turn it on for 4 seconds and then off for 4 seconds. Then on for 3 and off for 3, then on 2 and off 2, and finally on for 1 and off for 1.

Lastly, turn the key on and depress the brake pedal 5 times within 5 seconds.

That should reset the transmission and the noise should be gone and the tranny out of limp mode.

In the future you should post these types of questions in the OEM tech forum, as the tech in this forum might not be as honest as you like. Believe it or not, there are those that will jerk you around and waste your time on "fixes" that won't work.

Okie Terry said:
Okay, what has happened is, just like brake pads have chirpers to let you know that it's time to do your brakes, the transmission, as well as the transfer case and the rear and front differentials have noise makers to remind you of service intervals. The erratic shifting is from the tranny being in "limp mode".

First, you'll need to go out and disconnect the positive battery cable, wait 30 seconds, and connect it back.

Second, since it is an automatic, The proper ignition sequence for resetting the transmission is:
Turn the key to the on position and wait 5 seconds, then turn it off for 5 seconds. Next turn it on for 4 seconds and then off for 4 seconds. Then on for 3 and off for 3, then on 2 and off 2, and finally on for 1 and off for 1.

That should reset the transmission and the noise should be gone and the tranny out of limp mode.

In the future you should post these types of questions in the OEM tech forum, as the tech in this forum might not be as honest as you like. Believe it or not, there are those that will jerk you around and waste your time on "fixes" that won't work.
Sumbeitch ... had to wipe my eyes!

Okie Terry said:

hahahahahahahahah, funny sheit.

Okie Terry said:

Worked for me.

Okie Terry said:

OK... is this for real.... sound like bullshit to moi'

Okie Terry said:

That's awesome...I always thought you had to pull the valve body and drain it, then pull the torque converter and drain that, replace them, dry, then drive 25 miles before adding more fluid to get it out of limp mode. Your way is a hell of a lot easier.

xjmyjeep said:
...and had to push my car into the oak brook parking lot (I work at Eddie Bauer in Oak Brook) because as soon as the car came to a stop, it chose to not engage in 1st. Then, to get home I called upon my buddy with a stock xj to hook up to my custom 4x4 fr. Bumper (Thank you custom 4x4), and used a wonderful tow strap in his hitch to pull me back down rt. 83 (thought i saw an lifted xj speed by us).

oak brook mall you say?? It was probably me that sped by you. :laugh2:

Damn, an all red reputation from my above post. i thought the post was funny.

Back