• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

worth the 44?

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of cherokees ('86 2.8l 4dr, '87 4.0l 4dr WITH D44 REAR) but I have to buy both for $100 or neither.
The D44 truck had an awning dropped on the passenger side, blowing out front, rear and all P side glass, then it was allowed to be filled up with water like a swimming pool, it has 121k
The other truck has no problems aside from 4 slashed tires and no grill, it has 145k
Is it worth it?
both have titles so does anyone have suggestions?
I have room for 1, but I have to buy both or no deal.

A Dana 44 and a good parts supply for $100? You wouldn't have to ask ME twice... :laugh3:

The D44 is worth about $350.00. The 2.8L might have 4.10 gears. Pull the good stuff and sell it, or make one good one and junk the rest.

BrettM said:
I would do nearly whatever it takes logistically to get both.

x2.

Make it happen man, deals like that don't come around that often. The dana 44 axle alone makes the deal sweet.

$100 and your questioning it? i'm broke as hell and can barely keep gas in my jeep and even i would be all over that

yes.

The useable drivetrain parts you could sell to your buddies after getting the axle make it a profit waiting to happen if you have th space. If not buy them both strip the axles, and have the junk man come by and pick up the rest. Thats what I do.

Patrick

crazyoffroader said:
I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of cherokees ('86 2.8l 4dr, '87 4.0l 4dr WITH D44 REAR) but I have to buy both for $100 or neither.
The D44 truck had an awning dropped on the passenger side, blowing out front, rear and all P side glass, then it was allowed to be filled up with water like a swimming pool, it has 121k
The other truck has no problems aside from 4 slashed tires and no grill, it has 145k
Is it worth it?

Don't be such a (insert insensitive name here).
Your screenname is 'crazyoffroader'.
My 8 year old would recognize that as a flaming deal.
Should I call him 'Brandonoffroader'?

EDIT: Sorry Mark Hinkley is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.

Last edited:
Ok.. start an ebay account. buy both and start selling stuff on ebay.. like everyone has said it is def. worth it. you can easily make the $100 back plus more by parting it out and then you just got a free 44.

bgcntry72 said:
Don't be such a (insert insensitive name here).
Your screenname is 'crazyoffroader'.
My 8 year old would recognize that as a flaming deal.
Should I call him 'Brandonoffroader'?

EDIT: Sorry Mark Hinkley is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.
First off, I CAN ONLY GET ONE, therefore I have a problem because the landlords will only let me get 1 more, so either I dump one on the side of the road or I cant get either, the owner wont let me strip them there.
Second, I was asking for an opinion, which I got several helpfull ones and YOURS, along with a crispy user CP.
Third, If you think it's such a flaming deal, then you can haul your broken rear out from behind the Cheese Curtain And get them yourself!
:soapbox:
(ahem) In retrospect, I will atempt to get both if possible, otherwise just the d44 truck and haul the other to scrap. I was just wondering if it was worth the headache

crazyoffroader said:
Is it worth it?

Surely there is a member from your area that can help you out with storage temporarily - or might even want some of the parts.

Back