• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another budget lift in progress!

DaltonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just put together my rear leafs I need to see what you all think do I need to go more or less??

heres the pics.

addedleaf1.jpg

addedleaf2.jpg

DaltonXJ said:
I just put together my rear leafs I need to see what you all think do I need to go more or less??

heres the pics.

addedleaf1.jpg

addedleaf2.jpg

Put them on the rig and see how it sits! You'll never know if you got too much or not enough till you see it for yourself. Are you using Dakota leaves? Two of the longer leaves gave me 3-4 inches while one long leaf gave me 2.5".The pack that you made will not settle in flat like the stock XJ springs. It's almost impossible to compare them unloaded. Experiment with spring different spring combinations and find what works best for you:)

FUNKYTEE5

Last edited:
Yeah I stood on the leafs I put together and they didn't even give the stock XJ leafs bent real easy the dodge leafs are stiff....

so you just adding a few leafs off of the dakota? take the one with the eyes, take the one off the XJ cut the eyes off. and then what other leafs?

im looking to do something like this and im looking for ~4+ inches of lift, i have no shackle :dunno: but want to do dakota packs to save $$$

I was hoping that someone could clear something up for me... are you saying you can go to the bone yard and get the springs out of any dakota and put them into an XJ and get a 4" lift? Are these a direct replacement with no modification? If not what modification is needed? How does this mod feel in ride quality when driving on the street or highway?

I have a 95 XJ limited with a skyjacker ( I think ) 2" lift and I like it but it feels a bit rough like the ride quality suffers. I was thinking of going to a 4" lift and wondered how this would work.

Thanks for any replies.

Just search this forum for Dakota and you'll find hours worth of reading all about the same thing, using their leaves to add in under the Cherokee stock main leaf. You can use any leaves that are 2.5" wide to mix and match using the Cherokee stock main.

deathwobblezj said:
so you just adding a few leafs off of the dakota? take the one with the eyes, take the one off the XJ cut the eyes off. and then what other leafs?

im looking to do something like this and im looking for ~4+ inches of lift, i have no shackle :dunno: but want to do dakota packs to save $$$

You have to experiment with what works best for you. The Dakota packs that I found had slightly thicker individual leaves than stock XJ leaves. They hold arch better also. S-10 leaves are similar too. You have to find the medium between arch and good ride characteristics. too much arch will ride rough and not flex very well. I used one long Dakota leaf (not the main) under the stock XJ main with MJ shackle for 2.5 inches. I tried the two longer Dakota leaves under the XJ main and I got roughly 3.5-4" Keep in mind that Dakota packs may vary! I used 2wd packs. Good Luck. Search the topic! there has been alot of discussion about this:)

FUNKYTEE5

hey did you use any sort of anti friction treatment on teh leafs in the packs? im about to do my own custom leaf buildup and would love some advice.

thanx,
Pat

graVes14 said:
hey did you use any sort of anti friction treatment on teh leafs in the packs? im about to do my own custom leaf buildup and would love some advice.

thanx,
Pat

The leaves should have plastic pads at each end on the top. These pads do the rubbing as the leaves flex and cuts down on the metal to metal contact between the leaves. You can lube them up if you want but it's not terribly important as long as the rub pads are on decent shape. :)

FUNKYTEE5

Back