• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

soundbar instalation?

tone

NAXJA Forum User
just wondering how to install one if my xj didnt orignaly come with one.... where do i run the wires etc.? thanks

The wiring that would go to your old speakers in the tailgate is behind the trim on the drivers side. (by the spare tire) should be plug and play if you had tailgate speakers before. Drill the plastic fasteners, if I'm thinking of the right fasteners.

the xj has never had rear speakers and its a 97.... is it still a plug and play deal or do i have to run my own speaker wires?

all Xjs are wired for rear speakers i think, but not nessaccaraly "plug and play". You have to take a lot of the upper trim off as well to get it up in there. Also make sure you have the bracket that is glued to the ceiling if yours dosnt have it already. If not get some JB weld, and glue that bad boy up there. Just make sure to prep the surface good before application, mine fell down 4 days afterwards. As far as the plastis fasteners go just take some needle nose plyers an yank them off. Good luck

scott

On my '97 the sound bar is secured under the side trim and by the two fasteners that hold the rear cargo light to the ceiling.The wires run from the PASSENGER side-speaker wires and cargo light wires-and come up behind the rear corner trim near the hatch.I just installed my stereo system out of my wrecked '90 about a month ago and this is where the wires were on mine with the factory installed sound bar.Just use some needle nose pliers to remove the little round fasteners that hold the rear cargo light in place(if you have a rear cargo light)and use a small deep socket to push them back on upon re-assembly.I"m not sure if its a plug-n-play or not.HTH

Jeff

Last edited:
thanks alot ill give it a shot tomorrow because its already to late. ill let you guys know if i run into any problems....

everythings hooked up and working... now the problem is that the soundbar seems to have a little sag in the middle...:( and it vibrates when loud what should i do to fix this?

You might try supporting it in more locations, and maybe even adding foam insulation inside the bar, if at all possible. It'll stiffen everything up for ya.

That sag in the middle was covered - those two fasteners planefixer talked about attach through the center of the soundbar where the light is. They are a spring-tensioned sort of post, and are needed to hold the bar in place.

there were no plastic faseners that came with the soundbar and even if there were there is no place to connect them to... is there a write up on a soundbar install somewhere? or does someone have a pic so i can get a visual of what you guys are talking about? thanks alot for the help guys! keep it comin.

It's pretty far back:
soundbar.jpg

The posts are metal, and use what looks like a washer to hold them in place. They probably weren't included with the soundbar because they're part of the light, or something along those lines. Look directly above the light and there should be a bracket of some sort that you can work from.

Back