• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar conundrum

abnengineer

NAXJA Forum User
Some expertise is required for my conundrum. I raised my XJ up 6 inches, polished my D30HP with D44 flat-top knuckes and true high steer arms with the tie rod on top. I installed the RE heavy duty drop bracket with frame brace and then the heavy duty track bar. Additionally, I put on a TJ steering arm that has a slight drop. And here's what I've got;

1. The track bar is still a little too short for the stock attacment location on the axle, even with the drop bracket.
2. Up at the steering box, the separation between the track bar and the drag link is 1-5/8 inch.
3. Down on the axle, the separation between the track bar and the attachment point of the drag link on the tie rod (Inverted T arrangement) is 6-7/8 inch. The difference is 5-1/4 inch; meaning my axle attachment needs to move up 5-1/4 for the attachment points to be parallel.

So, my conundrum is this; should I cut the factory brackets loose and install a fabbed bracket such that the track bar attachments points will be parallel with the drag link? To do this, I'll have to shorten the track bar (not really a problem) and move its attachment point in-board of the passenger side coil. My guess is that the track bar will have to be shortened about 4-1/2 to 5 inches. Is this much shortening of the track bar going to present a problem with the flexing or ride? It's a DD with off-road duty.

Gracious

Back