• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for an XJ Dana 44...

ECKSJAY

Water is dirty
I'm even thinking a bare housing might be an option at this point. Tossing around this idea because it's time for new tires and I don't want to be limited to the Chrysler 8.25" max of 4.56 gearing. I really want 35s...

So here's my deal. I have a 29-spline 8.25" rear with 4.56 Yukon gears installed, low miles. Appears to only need brake cylinders, which I have (brand new from Carquest, name-brand with CQ packaging). I have not run this since buying it from someone who bought it at the 4x4 swapmeet a couple of years ago. I inspected and lubed everything and checked the gear pattern. I am willing to trade this setup for a 44 with shafts, don't care the condition of brakes or whether there is a carrier/gears installed. Most important is that the housing and shafts are in good shape so that I can pull parts off the shelf and build it immediately.

If uninterested in the 8.25", please PM me with what you have and how much you would like for it. If you are interested in the 8.25" alone send me PM and I'll sort through the mess. Bear in mind I really only want to sell it if I can come up with a 44. ;)

Oh yes, forgot to add that I'm willing to travel as far North as Marysville, South to Olympia/Chehalis....and comparable East and West.

Last edited:
I can get you an 8.8 disk brake setup for $300 COMPLETE Phil. It's what I run and have setup for several customers and works great. I'll be putting 4.88's in mine shortly too.

John

keep the 4.56 with 35"s then just pick up one of them atlas transfer cases for your low range :lecture:

oh yeah and skip the 44 and go 60

Avanteone said:
I can get you an 8.8 disk brake setup for $300 COMPLETE Phil. It's what I run and have setup for several customers and works great. I'll be putting 4.88's in mine shortly too.

John

v-6 or v-8? V-6 8.8 have a smaller spline count.

Um, NO. You're wrong. ALL of the '96-'97 and newer explorers with disk brakes (the ones all the Jeep guys are using for swaps) are 31 spline. I've done a half dozen installs on customers rigs and ordered ARB's, Detroits, etc. and never seen any other option. The EARLY 8.8's and the ones in Rangers, F150's, Broncos, Mustangs, etc. can be had with 28 spline, but they're drum brakes and not the ones were using anyways.

John

red91inWA said:
v-6 or v-8? V-6 8.8 have a smaller spline count.

Avanteone said:
Um, NO. You're wrong. ALL of the '96-'97 and newer explorers with disk brakes (the ones all the Jeep guys are using for swaps) are 31 spline. I've done a half dozen installs on customers rigs and ordered ARB's, Detroits, etc. and never seen any other option. The EARLY 8.8's and the ones in Rangers, F150's, Broncos, Mustangs, etc. can be had with 28 spline, but they're drum brakes and not the ones were using anyways.

John

my bad...product of inacurrate information...

when i look up a 98 explorer it asks me 6 or 8 cyl motor...what would be the PRIMARY difference ?

Gear ratio? Although I believe all ratios were available with both engines. One may be more common with a certain engine. No other differences that I know of. When I look up brake pads for a rig, it asks what engine size but still gives me the same part #.

John

Avanteone said:
Gear ratio? Although I believe all ratios were available with both engines. One may be more common with a certain engine. No other differences that I know of. When I look up brake pads for a rig, it asks what engine size but still gives me the same part #.

John

wild. it shows me a completely different part #. the gear ratios are the same for v-6 - v8 though i figured that out.

Now when I look in MITCHELL there are no part differences for anything but pads...BIZZARE...

what else is needed to swap into a cherokee other than spring perches, and shock mounts, ?

Cables, Yoke ..what else ?

I GOT IT. The pin in the carrier from a V8 is larger than the 6. an 8 should provide more strength.

Last edited:
Avanteone said:

John

um NO you wrong it's 95+
:paperwork

Thanks for the info, guys. Got it figured out. No 44 for me, I'll be keeping what I've got. Got some deals in the works after being encouraged to make a few phone calls. ;) Some goodies will be on their way next week.

Next step (long time from now) will be to a 60 if I swap. :laugh3:

shimmy said:
just go 9". i've got one in the werks... 5.13's and a spool

brandon

Why do YOU need a 9" Brandon? hehehe

Come out and wheel your rig with us, beat it up a little, then figure out what you need :)

Just messin' with you of course!

John

PS - Phil, that goes for you too, put it together and get out on the trails with us and beat it up a little. I've destroyed two rigs in the time you've spent figuring out what you're gonna do! hehehehe

Avanteone said:
PS - Phil, that goes for you too, put it together and get out on the trails with us and beat it up a little. I've destroyed two rigs in the time you've spent figuring out what you're gonna do! hehehehe

I learned to wheel before you destroyed those two rigs trying to figure out how, John. ;)

Avanteone said:
Yeah, you know that whole "pushing it to the edge of the envelope" thing? You gotta go over a time or two to learn EXACTLY where it is so you can get closer next time :)

John

Glad YOU enjoy that. ;) Not really my cup of tea, et al.

Avanteone said:
beat it up a little, then figure out what you need :)
Just messin' with you of course!
John

i cut my flares off the other day... does that count as beating on it? hah ha

brandon

Back