• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Dana 30?

tnxjjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be building my 89 Cherokee and I was wondering which Dana 30 would be the best to use. I don't have the $ for a custom 44, so I am going to swap in a stronger 30. As far as I know, a HP 30 with 297 u joints would be the best. Can anyone tell me which year Cherokee these came on. Does anyone else have any idea's for a different route I should take.

Thanks
Chris

From the JU XJ-Noob info. thread:

Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints)

Should give you a pretty good idea what to look for...

In addition to the above i'd consider 90+ knuckle out assemblies. Stronger knuckle (caliper bracket integrated), larger piston calipers.

you can keep your current dana 30 and just get some later model ( '95 and up) shafts that except 297x joints, they are a direct swap, that way you wont have to swap the housing and you will have your 260x shafts for trail spares.

Back