• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats in a good quality CB antenna

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
i read that communication is 10% CB and 90% antenna... what exactly am i looking for in a good quality antenna? i've used my motorola talkabout for the last few years, but i'd rather have something stationary.

brandon

shimmy said:
i read that communication is 10% CB and 90% antenna... what exactly am i looking for in a good quality antenna? i've used my motorola talkabout for the last few years, but i'd rather have something stationary.

Communication is 10% radio and 90% antenna. Since you've mentioned Talkabouts, I'm guessing you mean FRS. FRS is in no way related to CB, apart from the no-license requirements for both.

But, to get back on track - yeah, a properly-tuned antenna will do more for you than all the watts in the world. Having said that, if you just want to run a CB for trail use, just get a good transmitter and don't go nuts on overtuning the antenna. I like my Cobra, but Rat Shack does actually have some good units. As long as you can get a couple of miles out of it on most channels (read: 1.3:1 SWR or better), you should be OK.

yeah agreed on the uniden 520 xl. Not too cheap but with a pa you can have a blast messing around with people when you are bored. Or it can be used on the trail for a spotter or someone without a cb. As for antenna, i have a magnamount but im looking to get a firestick

Wilson 1000 (around 70 bucks) or Lil Wilson (around 35 bucks) can be had at most truck stops...K-40's have nothing on a Wilson 1000...Or get a side body mount adjustable ball and go with a 102 inch stainless steel whip...But then you will need to get a coax to run from antenna mount to radio...Better to get a Wilson 1000 with a heavy duty magnet and be done with it...Word of warning...If your trail requires a flag don't put it on a Wilson 1000...Mine got snagged in a tree and ripped off coax and had to resolder it back on...I found it a mile back on the trail hanging in a tree...It was funny...But A wilson isn't permantly sealed so it comes apart...

John4wd...

In most cases, a tunable antenna is the way to go. With a whip antenna, in most cases you can install it and go with it. I'm running a 4ft Peterbuilt trucker antenna, once I tuned it, no problems what so ever. Another thing to consider is the coaxial lengths. Three foot increments is a common practice to keep things in tune. If you have extra length, don't coil up to take up the slack, loop it back hand forth and cinch it together. My two cents.

I ripped the shit out of my radioshack white one tonight putting down the garage door to work on the Jeep.

I guess now that it's taller I should have seen that coming.

Another unseen expense! Damnit! Will be running to the local truckstop tomorrow I guess.

Wilson 1000 connected to a cobra 29.

You can put a super modulation kit in the cobra for a few bucks and out talkd most CBs with a linear amp!!!

Cannot beat this combination.

casm said:
Having said that, if you just want to run a CB for trail use, just get a good transmitter and don't go nuts on overtuning the antenna.

I agree wish casm. It all depends on what you want out of it. Do you want/need to be talking for many many miles with the random truckers? Or do you just want to keep in touch on trail rides.

I have a cheapo 2ft fiberglass antenna and it is more than fine for trail runs.

I'm looking for one too, just for trail runs. Will those magnetic ones that pop on the roof work for that ? I don't want a huge antenna whippin around. I have two 4 footers and refuse to use those. Be glad to trade them to anyone in the Boise area. I bought a wrecked XJ with them already on it. I'll give them away if any one wants them. Won't ship though.

boise49ers said:
I'm looking for one too, just for trail runs. Will those magnetic ones that pop on the roof work for that ? I don't want a huge antenna whippin around. .

From what I've seen, they work well. If nothing else, it gets you communicating on the trail. Then you can see how others have installed theirs, and what they're using.

I agree with you assesment of 102" whips. Good on hwy, bad in trees. I feel the same about the 4" sticks, not because they're bad antennas (they work very well) but because when you hit something with them, they don't give.

Back