• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2ND Gen VS 3RD Gen XJ Cherokee

jayeepxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, good evening i just was wanting someone to compare the 1991-1996 VS the 1997-2001 XJ. I mean the 2nd had some rattle and sqeeks and stuff but other than that it would be cool just to explain some diff's too me for fun an stuff.

thanks

Hmm, well the most obvious stuff is body design. I've also heard that the 97+ models have a stronger unibody. Plus I like the interior layout and styling more on the 97+. Other than that I don't know. I know the 4.0L changed to the 4.0L HO somewhere in the "2nd generation". What about thoughts for a 4th generation, although it will never happen?

Yeah, I dont know why but I like the Jeep Brand alot, and i always fear of them going down because of their sales have dropped. I dont think it would happen man the Glad pic up is just dope and the Diesel is good too. Jeeps are just cool but also you know you got a vehicle that you can go anywhere anytime no matter what in hells going on with your climate. youknow
what jeep do you got?

Osprey413 said:
Hmm, well the most obvious stuff is body design. I've also heard that the 97+ models have a stronger unibody. Plus I like the interior layout and styling more on the 97+. Other than that I don't know. I know the 4.0L changed to the 4.0L HO somewhere in the "2nd generation". What about thoughts for a 4th generation, although it will never happen?

The 4.0 went HO in '91, and although basically the same for the whole run, there are some subtle differences between years.

computer systems went from renix to OBDI to OBDII
cylinder head design changed slightly in 91 and again in 96
block casting changed a little wish included the introduction of a main bearing girdle
the newest XJs (00-01) use a coil on plug system

Hi,

in europe there was a difference for the 2,5 TD Diesel engine (from 2nd to 3rd). They improved the stability of the engine. Most of the 2nd Gen engines were gone with a cylinderhead-crack because of overheating. In the 3rd Gen they improved some details (intercooler, oil-to-water-cooler, waterpump, water collector for all 4 cylinders). But there are still damages with the 3rd Gen.

@jayeepxj: And because of your fear. There is still a homemade problem from Jeep. The new Liberty has got a lot of problematic damages :repair: and there is a leak of spare parts.

greetings from Austria
Rainer :wave:

i have an 85, 91, and a 00....they are all good..but out of all 3 the new one is by far the better of the 3...in cab noise, power, and handling....if i wasnt the grocery getter i would be my 1st choice for a trail rig....the 84 is solid and reliable....and the 91 is a rusty POS...

We've got all three versions of the XJ and all three seem to have their own character. My 98 feels taller than the 90 and 92 yet the 90 is the tallest of the three, the 90 seems to ride and corner nearly as well as my 98 (even with 200K difference in miles!!) and the 92 seems to be the quickest of the three, even with 177K on it. The 98 seems to ride and drive the best over long distances to me, and the radio is easier to reach while driving.

The latest generation has a steel stamped rear hatch, and the hinges were redesigned accordingly (inside mount). The earlier gen hatch was fiberglass with exterior hinges, which on my '86, '89, and '93 XJ's all showed some sign of hinge pin coming out.

I have a '99 XJ 2.5L, 5-speed, 2-door. Great fuel economy. But if you ever need to carry more than two people, the 2-door is a pain.

later,
r

Dave Nay posted this a while back... It was pretty good, so I kept a copy of it....

Ivan

------------------------------------------------------------------
1997’s up - Why better?

The 1997+ XJ has one problem: the t-case output shaft is susceptible to vibes more than the old style case. Who cares? You have to do a SYE anyway to have a "rock eater". The resulting modified case is identical. The aftermarket parts for the 1997+ are virtually the same with the exception of bumpers. And in bumpers, the 1997+ have an advantage.

The newer style XJ has bumper moldings that make up the lower portion of the front flare. When you change the bumper, you lose those moldings and get a flare with the equivalent of major flare trimming on a pre '97. There is simply far less metal to cut. Just put a pre-97 front bumper on a 97+ XJ and you have what they have without all the metal cutting. Nice.

Now, onto the major advantages. In 1997 Chrysler installed a hugely simplified electrical system, fixing one of the major flaws of early XJ's. The '97+ XJ has the Dana 30 with 297-x (D44 size) u-joints. You can (and should) get the 29 spline Chysler 8.25 rearend, which with a set of custom shafts can be stronger than a stock Dana 44 (still c-clip though). In other words, you could run 35's on this axle. The housing is 3" in diameter, easily exceeding the 2.75" housing of the D44, so housing strength is not an issue (D60 and Ford 9's use a 3" diameter housing). For a pure rock crawler on tires over 35" I am not sure either axle is enough, so this may not matter

The interior of the 1997+ is far nicer, especially the dash. The rear hatch is no longer fiberglass and the latches mount to the interior and don't cause rust problems. Structural rigidity with new body style was reported at 40% greater than the older models, very nice when you are dealing with a unibody. I have beat the crap out of my 97 XJ, and it does not have one rattle. Not one. I've owned a bunch of cars that have never seen anything but smooth streets, and they all rattled. My XJ has taken more than it's share of washboard roads and rock crawling, and it is rattle and squeak free. And it weighs 1000 lbs over stock and runs 33" tires. Am I impressed? Hell yes.

Oh, let's not forget that the newer XJ's don't have cooling problems. Owners of older XJ's are always having huge overheating problems in summer (not sure what year they changed the cooling system). My XJ came with the Up Country suspension group from the factory, which meant a 2-core radiator and aux tranny cooler. I've towed a 5,000 lb trailer up-hill (very, very gradually) from the Mississippi to Colorado in 98° temps with no cooling problems. The same trailer was tugged over the Applachians coming from DC (and then down to the Mississippi ). No cooling issues.

This isn't a slam on older XJ's, after all you are building a trail rig and why beat up a newer rig? But with the stronger D30 setup, the nicer interior, the simplified and more reliable electrical system, the better cooling system, and the easier front end work for large tires...IMHO, there is no choice to be made except for purchase price since you have to fix the stupid New Ventures transfer case output shaft design either way. At this stage, a low mileage 1997 XJ would represent an awesome value for building into a trail rig that will last many years.

i think it would be better to classify 84-86 as gen 1, 87-90 as gen 2, 91-95/96 as gen 3. and 97+ as gen 4. the 84-86 had the GM V6, different trannys and tcases as well as a smaller engine compartment.

My thinking, price/condition/mileage are far more important that any
of the little differences. You should be able to narrow it down to a
span of a few years based on that. If you find yourself looking right at the
transition years (eg 96-97) then worry about the model change.

Back