• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Evans Creek Question...

My_Little_Pony

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I am getting anxious to go REALLY try out the Jeep. So, I have decided to head out this weekend to Evans Creek. I was wondering if anyone has any experience there? What should I expect (lots of mud, snow, rock climbing, etc.)? I don't have a locker in the rear, so rock climbing is going to suck, but the other stuff should be fun. Any trails I should avoid? Any trails I should try as a beginner? Any help/info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Kevin

I wasn't planning on going alone....but with one other buddy of mine in his Cherokee also. He has a winch and he has lockers, so he will be very capable to tow me out of whatever mess I get into.

Your buddy sounds like he'd be able to help you out of anything you'd get into. Do you have rocker protection? Expect some rocker damage if you don't, the trees/stumps stick out and catch them all over. If you've got decent tires and some lift you should prolly do decent even without lockers. There shouldn't be any snow up there right now.

John

Nope...no rocker guards....I do have a 3" lift with 31" Super Swamper LTB's, and then the normal little miscellaneous stuff. I just want to try some easy little stuff right now. Then when I get more Jeep equipment then I will do the big stuff.

Evans Creek is quite the drive from Renton...If you're looking to just go out and dink around for the day, take I-90 East past North Bend to Exit 42 or so (It's the First Tinkham Road exit). Turn right at the exit, cross the bridge then turn left. There are all sorts of little roads there that take you up into the hills. These are roads used by Puget Power to access the High Voltage towers.

If you go up the Main Forest service road (Past the old train trestle) there are several roads up there with phenominal views! Do NOT attempt to go through the gate to the Cedar Creek Reservoir (It's well marked)! You will be arrested on the spot and fined heavily! The Feds are protecting this area.

Beware! lots of neat little places to get stuck up there too! I did okay with my stock rig - just had to be careful with rocks and stream crossings...

It's a LONG walk out and if you leave your shit up there it will be GONE when you get back. Bring another rig...

If you choose to go to Evan's Creek (it's not THAT far from Renton) stop at the Forest Service office in Wilkeson, next to the general store, and get a free one page trail map. The trails are all rated and for the most part you'll be safe following the easy and moderate rated trails.

I would specifically avoid 197, 198, 520 and upper 311. For your setup you'd be asking for trouble.

mr_sniggly said:
Evans Creek is quite the drive from Renton...If you're looking to just go out and dink around for the day, take I-90 East past North Bend to Exit 42 or so (It's the First Tinkham Road exit). Turn right at the exit, cross the bridge then turn left. There are all sorts of little roads there that take you up into the hills. These are roads used by Puget Power to access the High Voltage towers.

If you go up the Main Forest service road (Past the old train trestle) there are several roads up there with phenominal views! Do NOT attempt to go through the gate to the Cedar Creek Reservoir (It's well marked)! You will be arrested on the spot and fined heavily! The Feds are protecting this area.

Beware! lots of neat little places to get stuck up there too! I did okay with my stock rig - just had to be careful with rocks and stream crossings...

It's a LONG walk out and if you leave your shit up there it will be GONE when you get back. Bring another rig...

Excellent....I just might try that. I usually go up to Edgewick (the truck stop exit off of I-90, 3rd North Bend one) and it takes you to Taylor River. I will have to try Tinkham road this time. Thanks for the idea!!

Back