• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering box

backwoods

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, Ive been told I need a new steering box (manual steering). I can feel the play at the wheel. Periodically i have tightened it up using the adjustor ontop of the box. Seems to help for a bit but it always works itself loose, been like that since i got it.

Went to my local jeep/chrysler and their computer said there are 0 available in north america lol. After looking on google I found:
http://www.thejeep.com/onlinecatalog/p114.htm
Will an XJ manual steering box of the same year work with the comanche?
Are there any other alternatives besides the wrecking yard?

Im also considering upgrading to power steering. Anyone done this? What parts are needed? I have no a/c.

thanks
bw
88 Comanche 2wd 2.5L 5spd

Yes, an XJ box will work in an MJ. The box is a standard Saginaw box and you can probably also use a manual box out of any AMC car, like a Gremlin, Hornet, or Rambler American.

To convert to power steering, you need the power steering box, the pump, and the brackets to mount the pump. And hoses, of course.

As I mentioned, I have a 2.5L. Can i get a power steering box off a 4.0L? Im gonna assume the powersteering pump/bracket is different or is it the same?

thanks
bw

Back