• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ever installed an air horn?

darwin

NAXJA Forum User
I got a FAIIM 160db double trumpet air horn. Looks fairly simple, a small device which I believe is the relay or maybe it pushes the air. It has a hose, a power line, and the two trumpets.

Got a lot of projects to take care of in the next week. How long do you think it will take to install this? I'm pretty good with a wrench and have a Haynes manual.

Any tips?

seems like the hardest thing would be finding where you want to mount it hten just wire it up. wouldnt think it would take long at all. that things gonna be loud, i need to get one of em :)

Ramsey said:
seems like the hardest thing would be finding where you want to mount it hten just wire it up. wouldnt think it would take long at all. that things gonna be loud, i need to get one of em :)
I'll be doing a before and after video clips and making a short little "here's the difference" video.

It'll have a person's blind reactions too. That'll be funny.

took me about 30min. to wire mine up. Put the horn in the place of the stock air box. I had to fabricate a piece of metal for the horn to sit on. That took longer than the wire up. Make sure you get good grounds. I used to get a shock while holding the steering wheel and hittin the horn.

darwin said:
I'll be doing a before and after video clips and making a short little "here's the difference" video.

It'll have a person's blind reactions too. That'll be funny.

thumbup.gif

Yah, I need one too, for the bicyclist who have 10 foot of shoulder and still ride 4 feet out in the lane on a thin 2 lane road. The road I live on no less. I've tried tapping on the horn lightly to let them know I'm approaching just to get a bird flipped at me. Got to Lovem !
I would like to have one though. Let us know how it works out.

boise49ers said:
Yah, I need one too, for the bicyclist who have 10 foot of shoulder and still ride 4 feet out in the lane on a thin 2 lane road. The road I live on no less. I've tried tapping on the horn lightly to let them know I'm approaching just to get a bird flipped at me. Got to Lovem !
I would like to have one though. Let us know how it works out.

I'm a cyclist that routinely rides in the center or near center of the lane on a 2-lane road, but I do so only so that I can be seen easier by anyone approaching me from behind. I check behind me often and as soon as I see a car, truck, or whatever I move over to the shoulder as far as I can get and not be off the road. That's the ONLY reason that I can see for riding in the middle of the road, visisbility. And in case anyone's wondering, I HATE to see cyclists riding side by side and refusing to move. Really rubs me the wrong way.

As for the guy (or girl) that gives you the finger when you tap your horn, they're just a plain a**hole!

Don't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth about cyclists. Originally checked it because I want an airhorn too for that guy with the 4 million watt stereo in his car that owns the road and isn't afraid to show it.

Robert

I mounted my airhorns right behind the front bumper on the frame rails. Use a relay as well. The horns usually don't come with a relay. They come with a small compressor, hose, power line and the trumpets. Just make sure the hose has enough slack to not pinch and not enough to snag on anything. Mine is wired into the stock horn wires which works decent. Works even better with a relay added tho. Works real good on blue hairs and the idijits on bikes who flood the roads here. :laugh3:

Sarge

This might be a stupid question, but I just thought about it. When I get my ARB fully installed can't I just run a junction off of that air compressor for an air horn?

Robert

Check your local vehicle codes. When I worked at a dealership installed an JC whitney air horn that the customer brought in. Two weeks later he came back pissed and wanted it removed, seems he got a ticket. The air horn is typically from a bigger vehicle than a park avenue and when it sounded off scared the crap out of someone that caused a wreck. This was some 20 years ago and don't remember all the details of the law, but in general the sound signal device needs to 'fit' the vehicle that is emitting the sound. He was pissed WE didn't know the vehicle code. I think we removed no charge.
Tom

Boatwrench said:
Check your local vehicle codes. When I worked at a dealership installed an JC whitney air horn that the customer brought in. Two weeks later he came back pissed and wanted it removed, seems he got a ticket. The air horn is typically from a bigger vehicle than a park avenue and when it sounded off scared the crap out of someone that caused a wreck. This was some 20 years ago and don't remember all the details of the law, but in general the sound signal device needs to 'fit' the vehicle that is emitting the sound. He was pissed WE didn't know the vehicle code. I think we removed no charge.
Tom
Apprecaite your point.

Yeah, but I don't generally honk my horn unless I'm either screwing around at one of my friends, or someone is genuenly doing something wrong.

Usually I wish that it was a million times louder so they would actually pay attention to me, which they now will, because it is MUCH louder.

I started the install and decided to wait until Saturday when I'm down at the shop because I'll have all the right wiring and mounting hardware that I can fab.

XJWheelie said:
This might be a stupid question, but I just thought about it. When I get my ARB fully installed can't I just run a junction off of that air compressor for an air horn?

Robert
You will need a hand vavle like big rigs have or a solenoid, I am putting OBA and a set of air horns that I have with a solenoid to work off a switch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=7953870034&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT

I put this kit together thinking I would install it but I never did. I am going to use the money for a C02 setup.

Basically, you put one wire off of the solenid in the horn plug and the other on a ground. The compressor needs to have a switch to turn it on and recharge the tank but thats about it.

If you win the auction on ebay and mention you're an NAXJA'er I will give you a discount.
Ben

Air horns are a defensive driving tool. As we all know, the bigger it is the worse it stops. And it seems most people see a big vehicle and just pull right in front of you when you least expect it.
My install took about 30 min.

Sounds good to me Daffy, that's the only time I would use one myself, but I'd need a BIG tank at times around here. What I want though would be an airhorn off of a diesel locomotive, just to scare the piss out of whoever cuts me off.

Back