• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6" lift kits

for the money and quality...RE 5.5 all the way :D

Brad

I second the RE. We had SJ 8" RR and it sucked. The only difference between the two is the 8" has the cradle (which sucks):D

Thank God, nobody suggested Rusty's here!

Rgds

Awww man you had to drop the CRUSTYs bomb didnt ya......This thread was heading in the right direction and then WHAMMMM .....Bahahahha

C-RUSTYS = POOP

Robert :anon:

KINGSIZE said:
Awww man you had to drop the CRUSTYs bomb didnt ya......This thread was heading in the right direction and then WHAMMMM .....Bahahahha

C-RUSTYS = POOP

Robert :anon:

I am totally justified, what with all the crap I've had from his POS products. On top, I am currently awaiting for four Bilstein shocks I've asked from him, and he supposedly send them on 15th of May. He even faxed me with the USPS receipt. Guess what? Not only they haven't arrived yet, but the courier which handles these packages locally can't find the insurance number in his computer.

So what am I supposed to do?

Anyone can find me the phone of the Better Business Bureau in his area?

Rgds

What's the problem with the Rusty's 6" longarm kit? Looks good, the X-member/LCA mount looks good, don't know about the way they attach to the axle. Is the product garbage or is it the service that sucks?

How does your rig handle on the street now with the Rusty's lift? He uses the stock rubber bushings on all the links doesn't he? With two upper links does this not inhibit articulation and put alot of stress on the LCA's and the upper links mounts? Sorry about the 20 questions, enquireing minds!

Rocky said:
What's the problem with the Rusty's 6" longarm kit? Looks good, the X-member/LCA mount looks good, don't know about the way they attach to the axle. Is the product garbage or is it the service that sucks?

I am not familiar with his LA kit, but my experience from his products AND his service leaves a lot to be desired.

I am running his 4.5" kit (which netted me 6" actually) but:

1. The rear springs that came with the kit were too short and very stiff. They left the shackles all the way forward, binding on the mounts. Due to the shackles problem, the front bushings were moving, thus allowing the springs to touch on the front spring mounts. Rusty send me new shackles (+0.75") and new bushings (different kind) to correct the problem.
2. His shocks leave a lot to be desired as well. If you grab the shock body and shake it, the axle shaft moves inside the body. Thus, you can see the axle being at an angle to the lower shock body. Rusty insists that this is normal, even though he had send me a new rear shock to replace one that had excessive play on delivery.
3. Ever since I installed his kit, I was troubled by terrible steering. No straight-ahead feel, the truck was wandering etc. etc. The problems were solved by 80% when I finally found out that the TRE at the end of the track bar was shot (probably dead on arrival). Changed to a heavy duty end and corresponding mount, and solved my problem.
4. His upper control arms (the adjustable ones) are less than 4 months on my truck and they have some play. I had to call him and ask him for the nuts which tighten up the arms. He does not include them with the arms, he sends them out only if asked.
5. Finally, I had ordered a set of Bilsteins from him to replace the old shocks. Rusty send them USPS AirMail instead of AirMail Express I had asked him for. The difference between the two services is that the second one is traceable, the first one is not. The package was send on May 15th (I verified that from the US post office) but has not arrived yet. I e-mailed him yesterday and today I called him to find out what he has done about it. He told me that he had called the Post Office and initialized a search on it. Bull, the post office knew nothing about it. They can't actually start a trace until 30 days are passed.

Please keep in mind that when I had initially ordered my lift kit, I talked with him on the phone 3-4 times, explaining to him that since Greece is so far away, I can't go back to him on a daily basis, so I needed everything that the lift would require, and that I didn't mind paying a little more for peace of mind.

Today, I promised myself one thing. No more of my business goes to Rusty!

When I first started researching about a lift kit, there were people in the forums who warned me about both the quality of his parts and his business practices. So I called and tried to figure out what I should do. His nice speaking plus the fact that his father is Greek, convinced me to order from him. I was so wrong :-( With the money I had paid to my mechanic to replace the problematic parts from the initial lift kit, I could have got the Rubicon Express one, and still save some.

Sorry if I let out steam, but I am really pissed off with this story.

XJCHUCK72 said:
4 wheeling and BIG FAT GREEK Wedding don't mix I guess. :D

I am Greek, I might be a little fat (relatively speaking), but I am definitely not big. As for the wedding, that was quite some time ago, so I seriously doubt if it affected my off-road capabilities.

LoL

Rgds

Your lucky, I had the same problem with the adj. control arms, exept he would not give me the jam nuts, he would sell them to me for $10 ea. plus shipping.

Also beware of his steering conversion. IT SUCKS!!! And its extremely weak. It was so weak that when my buddy put it on his rig, the thing would flex so much that all you had to do was move the steering wheel side to side and the knucle to knucle tie rod would bow approx. 2" up and down.
:mad:

The street handling of the long arm is good. I have had other vehicles with less that were alot worse. I added a boost on top of the 6 in to get 8. I run 33X12.50's and no trimming. He does use stock type rubber bushings. I haven't noticed any limiting of articulation. The thing about the quality you have to realize with Rusty's is something most people seem to disreagard. You get what you pay for. There is a reason why you can get into a 6 in lift for under a grand shocks included. What do you have to spend for an RE, 1500? Now if you know that going in and treat the product as such you will be happy with it. Don't expect and RE lift for the price of a Rusty's lift though.
Here's some recent test shots.
http://community.webshots.com/user/willboy992000

willboy said:
The street handling of the long arm is good. I have had other vehicles with less that were alot worse. I added a boost on top of the 6 in to get 8. I run 33X12.50's and no trimming. He does use stock type rubber bushings. I haven't noticed any limiting of articulation. The thing about the quality you have to realize with Rusty's is something most people seem to disreagard. You get what you pay for. There is a reason why you can get into a 6 in lift for under a grand shocks included. What do you have to spend for an RE, 1500? Now if you know that going in and treat the product as such you will be happy with it. Don't expect and RE lift for the price of a Rusty's lift though.
Here's some recent test shots.
http://community.webshots.com/user/willboy992000

Far from me the wish to make this thread a "Bad Rusty" one, so I'll just answer this, as I think you said it right. People should understand that Rusty's things just do not have the quality of RE's.

With that said, I ordered the lift knowing well, that I was not going to take my XJ to Moab or Rubicon. Given the kind of four-wheeling that I do, and the frequency of such excursions, I thought that his parts will hold, at least for some years. I never expected to have problems since the day the lift was installed. Nor was I expecting to have to go to new shocks within 8 months from the installation. Or that the new adjustable UCA would need a nut that was not included in the purchase. Or that the new, heavy duty track bar end would not fit in the trackbar unless I cut it by an inch. And all that with only two off-road trips, one of which was mostly on flat, dirt roads and the other was some slow fun in a motocross arena, trying to see how it flexed.

As you said, you get what you pay for. Or as we say here "Cheap things are expensive".

I hope your long arms hold up fine, and you never have the same experiences that I had.

Rgds

Uni said:
Your lucky, I had the same problem with the adj. control arms, exept he would not give me the jam nuts, he would sell them to me for $10 ea. plus shipping.

Also beware of his steering conversion. IT SUCKS!!! And its extremely weak. It was so weak that when my buddy put it on his rig, the thing would flex so much that all you had to do was move the steering wheel side to side and the knucle to knucle tie rod would bow approx. 2" up and down.
:mad:

I just didn't give him the opportunity to ask for money on the nuts. I just demanded that he send them to me.

As for his steering setup, I was thinking of getting it, until I read Jason's review in www.jeepin.com. At that moment, I passed. Thank God, my steering is back to normal now, with the heavy duty trackbar end and frame mount, althought I plan to reinforce that mount with some pieces of steel, next time I visit the shop. I've seen some pictures of such a mount breaking up, so given the quality of his stuff, I do not plan to wait for that to happen.

Rgds

hey if u r looking for a good ride and a sweet off raod suspsion! go with RE for ur money and everything they are the best!

skycrapers coils suc they sag their stiff and there suspsion componets brake!

if u looking for lift (like me) go with something different but i would say Rubicon Express!
just don't let those guys con u into anything other than what u want, they try to do that sometimes!

stoney

Rusty, Rusty, Rusty. I'm sad to see that I'm not the only one who has problems with shipping. I've had stuff on order for a year now and haven't recieved all of it. He is the friggin king of UPS excuses. The one he gave me today, "your box got damaged, we'll send a new one out today." Translated this means, "we still haven't shipped your order because we're waiting on something to be built or cut and don't have the balls to tell you that." I can't even count the times UPS or Fedex has "lost" my packages. I bet I've spent a weeks pay on phone calls to the man.

On the other hand, I really like his long arm kit. It fits well, rides and handles nice and flexes great. The shocks he sends suck, but the new 9 position ones are better.

Enough Rusty bashing for one night. Gotta save some for tomorrow.

Back