• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken motor mount bolts

hurtback

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 95 XJ with a 5 speed and i have broken the right side motor mount bolts off 4 times now. It really sucks since you cant drill them without drilling a hole in the side of inner fender to acsess the bolts. any one have a fix??? this should be a recall since i have seen others have the same prroblems after hitting a pot hole or speed bump really hard. at first i thought it was looose bolts but it is not the case.

After doing some searching i found out that this is a common problem with right side mounts and seems to be 94-97 w/5 speed so far. I think the problem is a mis-made bracket so all the force is on one bolt instead of all 3. It snaps the lower bolt and the others follow? I have heard of it causing fire and loss of control. This should be a recall. We need to complain to these people to get it recalled http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ I would like to hear from any one with this problem. tell me the year and what happened when it broke. then file a complaint.

I think the problem is a mis-made bracket so all the force is on one bolt instead of all 3. It snaps the lower bolt and the others follow?

That sounds about right. My truck is fairly old, it's a '90 XJ and I just hit a normal bump in the road that i've hit countless times before. On inspection it seems that the bottom bolt sheared off a while ago based on aging of the sheared bolt, then when the bump hit, the others followed suit.

It appears that the tranny mount is ok, but the driver's side mount kind was more heaviy worn out than the passenger side. This is really, really frustrating because this is my DD and had budgeted for other important repairs that the truck is in dire need of.

-Holy_Handgrenade

Maybe I'm wrong.

But wasn't there an issue with those bolts because they where to long?

Just by a fraction, but enough so the bolt will bottom out.
Eventhough you can torque'em to spec's, they are not really tight.
Thus the bolt will come loose/ brake over time.
I'm sure one of our seasoned wrenchers know's more on that and can fill us in.

I have a '96, 4.0 w/ 5spd and a/c. Passenger side broke going over a railroad track. Must have happened atleast once before, because there was no upper bolt at all in there...just a rusty stump where the previous owner couldn't get it out.
I replaced the bolts with grade 8's, along with lock washers. The washers space the bolts out far enough that they don't bottom out in the block. Held for two years, so far.

Steve

I'm working on Holy_handgrenade's truck for him, since he's not very experienced yet (hasn't had a 4x4 long enough) :gag:

So far we've been able to extract one bolt, and it wasn't bottomed out at all, in fact my feeler gauge says it had a solid half inch left to go (assuming the boss was threaded deep)

i have another thought on these busted mounts - has anyone ever considered using studs instead of bolts? that way the tension is purely linear rather than a torsional tension like bolts have as you tighten them. (anyone who's worked on aircraft should know what I'm talking about)

Back