• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stereo replacement...

Stonycar

NAXJA Forum User
Hey! I just bought a new stereo and i sure wanna install it myself to save some of that hard earn money but I was wondering how the hell do I get that front part of the dash. Anyboby can tell me how to take off the front fascia of the dash for an easy stereo install without breaking anything!

Thanks a lot

Stonycar said:
Hey! I just bought a new stereo and i sure wanna install it myself to save some of that hard earn money but I was wondering how the hell do I get that front part of the dash. Anyboby can tell me how to take off the front fascia of the dash for an easy stereo install without breaking anything!

Thanks a lot

What year???

BigDadys94xj said:
Knowing the year of your XJ would help! if it is before 97' there are only 5 or six screws to remove and then it just pops out. 97-01 I honestly cant remember.

98+ Just pull directly outward from the very bottom with both hands. Pops off of one clip on each side. No screws at all...

Cool, so it just pops out. I was wondering the same thing and was terrified of breaking something. Mine is a 2000 and that darn stock stereo won't eject tapes and the front speakers don't work. Once again this forum has saved me time and money....

Grab the center bezel down on the bottom, both sides, it will pull out, same with the top. From there it is just 4 screws...

Stonycar said:
I know it looks simple but I just wanna feel safe; anybbody has pics of that ???

Not done yet??? I'll be home in 4 hours. Then I'll take pics if you haven't worked up the nerve to just PULL! Just Playin':) I have a 98 and there are NO SCREWS holding the CENTER piece on. Just two clips on the bottom, Pull straight out firmly with both hands, when the bottom clips are released, pull the entire piece out and up over the shifter.

I doubt the 99 is any different.

Whatever you do, go and get the wiring harness adapter, that way it is a plug and play deal. If you are not sure how to do this, then just order a kit from crutchfield.com, it comes with awesome instructions on how to disassemble the dash and everything you need to make this a plug and play deal (including the wiring harness), trust me, it is worth the few extra dollars to get it from them, expecially the first time, it will save you a ton of time.

BoXJer said:
Not done yet??? I'll be home in 4 hours. Then I'll take pics if you haven't worked up the nerve to just PULL! Just Playin':) I have a 98 and there are NO SCREWS holding the CENTER piece on. Just two clips on the bottom, Pull straight out firmly with both hands, when the bottom clips are released, pull the entire piece out and up over the shifter.

I doubt the 99 is any different.

Lol! Yeah i know ive got to work on my nerves when its time tu pull stuff, im always worry about breaking somethin. But i dont know if yourelike me but its not the same thing when im wheelin... i care less about breakin somethin on the trail than in my parking lot ! anyway thanks to all for the help; Ill change the "boombox" this weekend :)

I second the wiring harness adapter, it makes it much easier and when you sell it one day the stock radio will go back in much easier. You'll also need an install kit to get it to fit in that 1.5 din opening. Hopefully, you're already thought about all of this.

When you replace your cd player, be very careful not to overtighten the screws on the cd mounting bracket. This is the easiest thing that can break during an install.

BoXJer said:
I have a 98 and there are NO SCREWS holding the CENTER piece on. Just two clips on the bottom, Pull straight out firmly with both hands, when the bottom clips are released, pull the entire piece out and up over the shifter.

I don't know if the 2000 is the same as my 2001, but having taken the dash apart in it a few times, it was a little different to how it's being described here.

- Remove the kick panel under the steering wheel. This is just two screws along the bottom edge and two clips along the upper.

- Remove the centre bezel as described (get your fingers around its edges and pull), but there are *six* clips that hold it in place. This is what necessitates removing the kick panel: pulling from the sides on the center bezel seems to work better than trying it from the bottom.

- You'll see four hex-head nuts holding in the POS factory head unit. Remove them and you're good to go.

Oh, one other thing: the six metal clips holding on the centre bezel actually snap over plastic tabs moulded into it. They occasionally like to stay in the mounting holes for the tabs, rather than come out with the bezel. If this happens, have fun bending and fishing them out of the holes - if you omit to put them back on, the bezel will squeak and rattle like a mofo.

Seems that each year must be slightly different. To replace the HU in my 98, as I described earlier to remove the center bezel was a simple task, and the factory HU was held in by only two 10mm bolts - top right corner and lower left corner...

I was gonna take some pics for ya, but it sounds like it may be a waste of time if they are as different as it sounds.

I don't mean to change topic but I think we have this figured out.

I tried a search, vague results. I am looking how to strengthen the moutning for the cd player. I have a 2000 as well and hate that the radio is only held by two screws in the front.

Is there a tech article or a thread link?

Thanks

Reviving this from death just because it covers the newer ones but for all the screws I pulled on the dash of my 90 I could not find a way to that @*$&&@8ing head unit to save my life. trying to replace the dead power ant with a flexible rubber one for the low branches on trails, the power on died in up position and is starting to look a bit ratty, lol.

Thanks

JT_Law said:
Reviving this from death just because it covers the newer ones but for all the screws I pulled on the dash of my 90 I could not find a way to that @*$&&@8ing head unit to save my life. trying to replace the dead power ant with a flexible rubber one for the low branches on trails, the power on died in up position and is starting to look a bit ratty, lol.

Thanks

Having just replaced my power antenna on an 89 you shouldn't have to remove the radio/dash.

On the 89 there is a set of connectors for the power ant where it passes through into the cab behind the rh kick panel.

Thanks!

Hmm, wonder if I can splice in then, looking to replace the dead power ant with a 18" flexible rubber one. Hopefully it'll even get upgraded to CD or something besides cassette soon lol.

Back