• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door and Rocker Molding Damage

DannyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was recently in a wreck which put a good size dent in my passenger door and bent my rocker molding a little. The rocker molding bent up slightly causing the door to rub on the bottom. What is the process for replacing that rocker molding and possibly the outer door shell. I got an estimate of a thousand dollars which is way over my budget right now. Any advice. TIA

Danny,

I also was in a wreck recently, I am insured but the 19 year old female college student was also insured. I hope you were hit by someone and you can make a claim on their insurance.

That does not seem bad for that amount of work, the estimates I got for quarter panel, back seat door and rocker are close to 3000 bucks. The problem with owning an older vehicle is that you can't replace it for the book price if you have done any work to it.

Martin

If the dent in the door isn't too bad, you might be able to remove the inner door panel and knock it back out yourself. The rocker is more difficult, since you don't have access to the back. A shop would weld studs to the outside, then attach a sliding hammer puller to the studs and pull it out that way -- if it's not too bad.

J.C. Whitney sells replacement rocker panels for the XJ. Your best bet might be to just cut out the old one and replace with new sheet metal. The piece will cost you about $35 from JCW, IIRC. If you have a friend with a welder, it should be a simple job.

JCW also sells replacement door skins for the XJ. I've never replaced a door skin, so I don't know how difficult it is to do. Just one more option to consider.

Whose fault was the accident? If the damage was to the side of your vehicle, it sounds like the other driver may have been at fault. If so, why are you worrying about cost? His/her insurance should be paying for it.

Cause of Wreck

Well it would great if the wreck wasn't my fault, unfortunately it was. It was raining pretty good and I was coming to a stop light down a slight hill. My brakes locked up on me, and I tried to pump them in order to get some stopping power back but I slid partially into the land next to me and their bumper hit my passenger door and rocker panel. I am a poor college student who only has liability insurance so unfortunately I have to foot the cost of repair.

Danny,

If the door still works, keeps the water/weather out and the damage is only cosmetic then just live with it till you get the cash, finish school for now. If you have some damaged paint apply some primer and some duplicolor to slow down the rust.

Nothing saying it has to be fixed right now if it still only beauty damage.

Martin

a replacement door from a donor truck would be cheaper than fighting with a doorskin considering the amount of agravation involved.. ironically this is also next on my "to do" list.. my 87 laredo has the rocker and both driver side doors punched in... but i have a matching donor vehicle.. i took on someone elses project.. get a cheap slide hammer from JCW with a screw on the end and drill a few holes and pull the rocker out.. how pretty do you want it to be? as long as the B-pillar isnt pushed in the door alignment shouldnt be very far off... good luck!
mc

Back