• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strongest way to extend anti-sway links?

xjfish

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have about 4.5" of front lift and I have been running without any swaybars at all without any problems but I would like to hook the front bar back up (using homemade discos/extended links) for safety reasons. I already have all the hardware (pins/wingnuts,etc) for the discos but I was wondering what was the strongest, best way to extend them.

I have heard of people simply cutting the links in half and welding in a piece of rod (from a bolt or otherwise) I have talked to a certified welder and we both agreed that it seems kind of weak. Other opinons?

Also If you used a threaded stud and a coupler nut do they seem to hold up on the street? I like the idea of being able to change the stud later if i go higher. Where can i find these weird metric sizes? Another idea I had would be to retap the 11mm (i think) thread on the end of the original links to a standard size. Sound feasable?

Lets see some homeade pics and hear some opinions! Thanks for any advice given! :)

i just cut my RE 3.5 links, i took out the middle third, then went to home depot and got a steal hollowed out rod for 7 dollars. Its a little bigger than the link middle part. I drilled holes in the tubing and in the links and used hitch pins to secure it, cheap discos. Very similar to RE's old style quick discos for 14 bucks.

Like this
O--- ==== ---O
slide it together to get this
O-====-O

and drill holes and put in pins

It has been working for 2 months with no noise or problems. I can imagine its a weak link in the design, but if it holds fine then who cares.

If you want to extend the stock links, i would just cut the middle part off and weld on a longer one. There is no way a good weld is going to break unless u flex it offroad to max stuff or flex with the links on.

Bmxpunk1369 said:
i just cut my RE 3.5 links, i took out the middle third, then went to home depot and got a steal hollowed out rod for 7 dollars. Its a little bigger than the link middle part. I drilled holes in the tubing and in the links and used hitch pins to secure it, cheap discos. Very similar to RE's old style quick discos for 14 bucks.

Like this
O--- ==== ---O
slide it together to get this
O-====-O

and drill holes and put in pins

It has been working for 2 months with no noise or problems. I can imagine its a weak link in the design, but if it holds fine then who cares.

If you want to extend the stock links, i would just cut the middle part off and weld on a longer one. There is no way a good weld is going to break unless u flex it offroad to max stuff or flex with the links on.

Bmxpunk1369 said:
i recently went through the RE links for a 4 inch lift using the homemade cotter pin hitch pin method and wow did that suck, wat a PITA it was to reconnect even if the ground was close to level. Then i cut my RE links and went to the hardware store and tried to copy their gen 1 disco set up and that is a little better but its not even worth the 8 dollars for pins and the tubing i paid for it. Anyone who says homemade discos are as good as a brand name clearly has never been off roading and had to crawl under the jeep and fight the sway bar to fit it back together or pull that cotter pin out. Why cant those JKS be more in my budget. I got almost new 4" leafs for 150$... i dont want to pay that for discos.

:dunno:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44245

Heres mine!
swaylink.jpg

I run threaded rod and coupling bolts. They are not the strongest (work well on road, but will bend off road if they are flexed too much). Personally I would do what PHX did. Strong and cheap without complete redesign.

BrettM said:
you are way overthinking this. just cut them, extend with something beefier than original, and weld.

Agreed. I just cut mine in half and spliced in the smooth portion of a long carriage bolt and they work great. The swaybar links don't recieve sudden shockloads or anything, and the weakest point will still be the factory threaded portion, so overbuilding them will only take you so far.

I had one of the fabricators at work cut em and weld in an extension. Gave him $10. I'm sure a machine shop wouldn't bang you up too bad for such a simple job. I since pitched them for JKS's though and man was it worth it. The ride is even better.

Back