• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

attaching fender flairs

bj-666

NAXJA Forum User
the flairs have been sitting in my basement for a few months now and it is time to get them on. My question is what is the best way to attach them while still keeping them easily removable when i hit the trail. my thoughts so far are snaps simmilar to the ones used to hold the cover on the bed of a truck. or these things called Duz fasteners that pop off after a quarter turn. (there expensive) u guys have any slick ideas post um or show me some pics.

u got any pics of how u use zip ties to attach them i just can't see how this works and looks semi decent

I would love to see some pictures and hear some more ideas on this. I have been running flareless since last summer and want to go back to factory flares. I trimmed quite a bit of metal so I would have to relocate the brackets higher up. Even so however, the bolts for them would be low enough to rub on the tire.

I tried using 3M trim adhessive for a while. It worked okay in warm weather. However, it gets pretty weak in cold weather. I want the flare to pop before denting the fender - not the first time it hits a twig. :laugh3:

dzuz or duz or whatever are awesome. They use them alot on motorcycles and dirtbikes to secure sidepanels and allow tool less access to say a battery box. My old Suzuki had them. They work great and are FAST. I'm sure they're expensive though and would require that you attach the backing piece to your fender somehow (I think).

dsus tabs

dzus.JPG

im using them to attach the rear fiberglass skins i have in my garage

for the zip tie man i understand how you attach your front flairs with the ties but how do you do it in the back

the only thing i'm not likeing about the dsus tabs is that it seems like you need a fairly large hole in the body panel to use them this isn't a big concern in the front but what about the back just concerned about rain getting in along with wakes from water crossings.

Why dont you use plastic fasteners like that hold your inner lining in place? Seen them used on Bushwacker flares and worked really well.

Gojeep said:
Why dont you use plastic fasteners like that hold your inner lining in place? Seen them used on Bushwacker flares and worked really well.

The stock flares, at least on 1997+ XJs, only have a very small edge against the fender. I guess you could drill the holes in the fender below that edge and have the flares sit over top of the fasteners, with the head of the fastener holding the flares against the body... However, that doesn't seem like it would hold well. My guess is the first rock thrown up against the flares would knock them loose

However, I will have to remember that if I decide to go with Bushwackers. Thanks.

Back