• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will 1989 seats fit a 1994

azdesertrhino

NAXJA Forum User
I searched the database and found some info on this but is the posts there seemed to be some conflicting years etc. Anyhow, I've got a 94 XJ Country and need to replace the seats. I know someone that has some 1989 XJ seats in very good condition. Does anyone know for sure if they will bolt up? I don't really want to drive a hundred miles to find out they won't work. Thanks in advance.

Jim

John B said:
Direct swap...bolts right in. As long as they are both 4dr or 2dr etc. 4dr seats do not tilt forward.

Yes, I 2nd that too. I bought '94 seats for my '89 and they fit perfectly. The back pocket is a little different but just a cosmetic thing. You might also find it helpful to know that the bottom seat pans are the same left/right. For power seats you only need to drill out the stamped hole blanks to mount the control on either side.

Re: will 1998 seats fit a 1994?

jayeepxj said:
i found a nice set of 1998 2-door sport seats. Will they fit a 1994 XJ 2-door?

thanks
No ... at least not as a bolt-in. In 1995 Chrysler added a frame rail across the floor under the front seats. The seat pedestals (bases) for the 95 and newer are very different from the 94 and older.

THanks alot for the info, I have one more question.Could you tell me all the types of seats that came with the Jeep XJ from 1991-1994? Like what model came with what seat style, which version had the leather? I would like to swap in a leather version in to a 1994 XJ 2-DOOR.

THANKS

jayeepxj said:
THanks alot for the info, I have one more question.Could you tell me all the types of seats that came with the Jeep XJ from 1991-1994? Like what model came with what seat style, which version had the leather? I would like to swap in a leather version in to a 1994 XJ 2-DOOR.

THANKS

Tough question to answer completely, all the trim levels had options within themselves. For example..i'v seen Laredo's with rubber floor mats instead of carpet etc.

However, iirc the only trim levels which offered Leather were the Country and Limited.

To clarify further John B's response....

He said "as long as they are both 4 door or 2 door."

He is correct that 4 door seats don't fold forward, but you can swap between the door configs.

I have 1992 4 door seats in my 1985 2 door. They fit perfectly. I don't have a back seat so there is no issue in the flopping forward for access.

So, yes, you can swap between door configs with out problem...as long as the years are compatable as Eagle mentioned.

Back