• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Paint Code / Transmission Tune-up

Rootehound

NAXJA Forum User
2 questions...

Where can I find the paint code on my 87 XJ?

This is only the second vehicle I've owned with an automatic transmission (the first one was back in the seventies - a Corvair with a two-speed PowerGlide - aka PowerSlide - transmission!)
I've heard different opinions on "transmission tune-ups". Some say if it's working fine (it is) leave it alone, and others say changing the filter and fluid from time to time will extend the life of the tranny.
I have 135,000 miles on the vehicle and no nothing of the history prior to 107,000 miles, which is what it had when I bought it.

Thoughts?

The paint code should be on a sticker on the driver's side front door, but be aware that D-C no longer recognizes many of the early XJ production codes for parts, and may not recognize the paint code either. There is also a body code plate on the firewall above your brake booster that lists additional vehicle info including the paint codes.

Additionally, I'd recommend draining and refilling the tranny periodically. The light-duty maintenance schedule calls for "Drain and refill ATF" every 30,000 miles while severe-duty recommendation is 12,000 miles. You don't need to replace the filter/screen but draining the fluid will help. If you just pull the pan plug you'll get about 1/3 to 1/2 the total capacity, plus a little more if you drop the pan itself. That will give yo a chance to learn all sorts of new words as ATF drips in your face from above, so maybe that's not such a hot idea... :laugh3:

Last edited:
Back