• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No front ds, No vibes...mysterious??

jeepinxj05

NAXJA Forum User
Wow, i took off my front drive shaft and get no vibes whatsoever. My jeep drives like a Mercedes not at most speeds (except for the body roll and spool in the rear muahaha). So anyway, i do have a worn out u joint in that ds but does this cause vibes or could it be that its out of balance? If so, where can i get it balanced?? Thanks ya'll.

a worn ujoint/worn double caradan, can cause vibes. Check the ball in the double caradan, they like to shear off

Replace the u-joints in the driveshaft first and see if it's still vibrating before you pay someone at a driveshaft shop to balance it. Guarantee there's a local shop that can do it, but replacing the joints is cheaper

Is your rig lifted? If so perhaps the lift is throwing front angles off and causing the vibes??

I've been seeing a lot more worn out slip yokes lately. Grab the shaft at the slip yoke and see if you can wiggle it.

no its the front ds, so not the slip yoke, or is that what you call the slip part of that front ds?? it might be because that was dry cause i could wiggle it but i greased it up and now its pretty sturdy. my rig is at about 3.5" of lift.

My experience is that it is the pinion angle. If you have adjustable upper and lower control arms you can slightly adjust the pinion upward a tad and it can help. The other option would be to lower the transfer case but I don't suggest doing that.

old_man said:
I've been seeing a lot more worn out slip yokes lately. Grab the shaft at the slip yoke and see if you can wiggle it.

Isn't the NP231 suppost to have a small amount of play on the from yoke. Mind does and so does my brothers Rubicon jeep. Is this normal or are they both worn out. Even though he is not getting any vibes.

Pinion angle.

You just discovered the proper technique for identifying whether you have front or rear driveshaft vibration.

Your caster needs to be adjusted, and may call for a set of adjustable control arms, if you don't already have them.

Joe said:
Isn't the NP231 suppost to have a small amount of play on the from yoke. Mind does and so does my brothers Rubicon jeep. Is this normal or are they both worn out. Even though he is not getting any vibes.

I noticed some slop in my MJ's front shaft last weekend..traced it down to a tiny bit of play in the slip yoke, but had about a good 1/8" of movement in the pinion UJ. The joint cross was actually sliding up/down inside the caps that were strapped to the pinion. The caps weren't loose, but it seemed like they were a tiny bit wider in the yoke than they should be. I swapped in a new UJ and greased it and the SY up and that almost eliminated all the play, but I'm going to pull another yoke out from the junkyard and swap it in. I think the yoke is worn out some.
Jeff

old_man said:

That'd be my guess. And we're talking the slip yoke on the driveshaft -- nothing to do with the t'case. I've had the slip yokes on 2 front DS's wear out on me, causing front driveline vibs. I think in my case(s) it was actually the splined section, not so much the slip yoke itself.

I've got hubs now though, so it doesn't matter much to me anymore. :D

jeepinxj05 said:
no its the front ds, so not the slip yoke, or is that what you call the slip part of that front ds?? it might be because that was dry cause i could wiggle it but i greased it up and now its pretty sturdy. my rig is at about 3.5" of lift.
i fuked my fron DS up with a bad pinion angle and messed up the double cardan u-joint end
Check here for my fix...
http://www.opiebennett.com/upperdrrveshaft.htm

Joe said:

Rubicons do not have the 231.

As far as the front DS....take it to a DS shop and have them rebuild it...I did this and it was better than new.

FYI, the front drive shaft has a slip joint not a slip yoke. A yoke is the component that cradles a U-joint. The fact that the rear one serves both purposes makes it a slip yoke...

Carry on.

I'm just going to guess but he has a 242, fulltime 4wd is more likely to cause vibrations in the front than the part time 231.

Originally posted by baldwinwb
I'm just going to guess but he has a 242, fulltime 4wd is more likely to cause vibrations in the front than the part time 231.

Why is that? I have noticed that when im in 4wd full time, nothing vibrates and it rides like a lexus (in my eyes)...

jeepinxj05 said:
Why is that? I have noticed that when im in 4wd full time, nothing vibrates and it rides like a lexus (in my eyes)...

A Drive shaft that isn't spinning is less likely to vibrate, a front Drive shaft is not very likely to cause a vibration driving around town with an np231 a bad front driveshaft with the full time 4wd is alot more likely to have vibrations caused by a front driveshaft.

baldwinwb said:

Only if we're talking about older XJ's that have the vac-disco D30...

Back