• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hack and tap and front shaft SYE

Bmxpunk1369

NAXJA Forum User
i just recently did the H&T by RE and set it up with a 96 cherokee front Driveshaft. I have an 01 with an 8.25 rearend and 231 tcase and it seems as though the new driveshaft is an inch or two short. I am also using 6 degree shims and the angle is still not enough. Can anyone recommend another DS off a truck i could find at a junkyard with 1310 u joints and runs from about 33-36 inches long. The front shaft i used for my SYE is 30-33 and its running with just the tips of the splines exposed and thats on flat ground. I know when it flexes this is going to turn out bad. Anyone have a newer model XJ with an 8.25 and have any problems.

what is the the length of the DS compressed and extended??
perhaps yoiu had the wrond driveshaft shipped to you
could be yoiu have the d35 shaft

Iremember reading one of the yokes is longer

VegasAnthony said:
what is the the length of the DS compressed and extended??
perhaps yoiu had the wrond driveshaft shipped to you
could be yoiu have the d35 shaft

Iremember reading one of the yokes is longer

doesnt he mean he put the front driveshaft onto the rear?

punk; do you know what drive train the donor vehicle had?

the ds i have no is 30-33 comp and ext, it had a 231 and a 8.25 i assume. I know it had a 231 but im not sure about the axle. Does anyone know how much a DS shop would charge to lengthen it. Isnt the d35 pinion shorter than the 8.25 resulting in a longer shaft. That shaft could work if so. I need one that goes from 32-35 or 33-36 in that range.

don't mean to hijack, but what adapter did you use to mate the front DS to the flange on the H&T?

i didnt mean 8.25 and d35... the DS i got was from a friend off a 96 xj but im not sure about the front axle. I know my current front DS is 2-3 inches longer than the one i used for the rear, but that slip yoke is shot so i cant use it for the back. CAn anyone measure their front driveshaft from u joint eye center in the slip yoke side to the center of the u joint eye on the dual cardan end and tell me what you get as the shaft is on the jeep, or if its pulled EXTended and Compressed. I was thikning the difference in lengths could be resulting from a LP on my 01 compared to the older HP style d30. This could change the length of the driveshafts to some degree perhaps?

Last edited:
A front shaft from a Cherokee with a low pinion D30 (2000&2001?) is an inch or two longer than the more common high pinion D30.

it needs to be from an aw4 4.0 if i remember correctly for it to work right. and it will only work on an 8.25 rear end since it does stick out further it wont need to be as long as if you had a 35. hope this helps

tysonxj said:
A front shaft from a Cherokee with a low pinion D30 (2000&2001?) is an inch or two longer than the more common high pinion D30.

Thats not true:Ive got three
95XJ NP242
96XJ NP231
00XJ NP231(LP D30)
They all are the same length and still have the same part# Tag on them!
BTW:they are all 4.0/AW4 Auto's

Last edited:
was just gonna ask that. i think that is the key thing to look for and also that it can only work with the 8.25 rear end

Just take that shaft to a driveline shop and have it re-tubed to the length that you want. The last time that I had it done they only charged me $100 for lengthen & balance.

yeah i got a 4.0 and a 8.25 and an aw4. Im tihnking the shaft is wrong because my front on my 01 is longer than the rear by 2 inches (exactly what i need), but i still have vibes with the 6 * shims. This could be caused by my bent crossmember creating a high output angle of the tcase but only a trip to the junkyard and a new CM will tell me that. I tihnk im going to go to the junkyard and scrounge for a longer shaft before i lengthen this shit shaft i bought.

Bmxpunk1369 said:
yeah i got a 4.0 and a 8.25 and an aw4. Im tihnking the shaft is wrong because my front on my 01 is longer than the rear by 2 inches (exactly what i need), but i still have vibes with the 6 * shims. This could be caused by my bent crossmember creating a high output angle of the tcase but only a trip to the junkyard and a new CM will tell me that. I tihnk im going to go to the junkyard and scrounge for a longer shaft before i lengthen this shit shaft i bought.

Just curiuos as to how much lift you got? I like this idea, I got 3-3.5" and a 8.25 and wouldn't mind going to an SYE in the future. All you need is the Hack n Tap, front DS w/ good CV joint, the then the spicer adapter?

Ive got about 4 inches of lift, 8.25 rear, 4.0/AW4, 242 t-case w/ RE H&T. I tried using a front DS with the spicer adapter and came up about 2 1/8" short. I retubed the shaft myself and am going to get it balanced by a shop for $50.

I also tried multiple front shafts and none of them was long enough.

It was still cheaper than having a shaft made tho.

RE Hack n Tap SYE -$140
Junkyard XJ front driveshaft -$50
Flange (spicer part #211229x) -$45
6" steel tubing to lengthen shaft -$0.25
Professional driveshaft balance -$50

TOTAL: $285.25

RCP Phx said:
Thats not true:Ive got three
95XJ NP242
96XJ NP231
00XJ NP231(LP D30)
They all are the same length and still have the same part# Tag on them!
BTW:they are all 4.0/AW4 Auto's

87-01 AT front driveshafts are all the same...

Bmxpunk1369 said:
i just recently did the H&T by RE and set it up with a 96 cherokee front Driveshaft. I have an 01 with an 8.25 rearend and 231 tcase and it seems as though the new driveshaft is an inch or two short. I am also using 6 degree shims and the angle is still not enough. Can anyone recommend another DS off a truck i could find at a junkyard with 1310 u joints and runs from about 33-36 inches long. The front shaft i used for my SYE is 30-33 and its running with just the tips of the splines exposed and thats on flat ground. I know when it flexes this is going to turn out bad. Anyone have a newer model XJ with an 8.25 and have any problems.

I know that a Dodge Dakota front DS is close But not sure if its long enough? Also another to check out is the Ford Ranger front DS. They use the same U joints as far as i know. :)

FUNKYTEE5

i was planning on doing this and had heard people had success. anyone get it to work without having to lengthen the shaft? i wanna say cheapxj did, anyone else?

Back