• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel ball.. boat style

Silverstreak01

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a steering "speed" balls that boats have on there steering wheel at west marine ! the thing is awsome ! makes turning so sweet. a little pricey at 70$ but i usually drive with one arm out the window and the other one in the middle of the steering wheel on the bottom (cept when i turn) its perfect. . il get some pics up soooon ! haha thats all

keith h

Also called a suicide knob, used by some handicapped drivers, and illegal in some jurisdictions.

They can also be bought for like $10. Probably not nearly as fancy. But I have a sneaky feeling that the novelty is going to wear off. Just wait till that baby catches you in the forearm when your steering wheel whips around in the rocks offroad. :rattle:

Drove an old dump truck with one of those. Suicide knob is a good name for it.

$70?????? :scared:

Wow, $70. I would like to see a picture of it, better be made of gold or something special. Cheapies can be bought at pretty much any auto store for less than $10. I know Kragen has them.

i know here in mass you can't use them. unless it came with it, and i think they stopped useing them in the 50s. not sure if i'll help you in the woods like 96 said it might come around and hit you. good luck

Why not do it right if your going marine?

Stick steering is where it's at. Try 6" forward for full left and 6" back for full right. No more silly and slow steering wheel.

jet_stick_steer.jpg

Lincoln said:
Why not do it right if your going marine?

Stick steering is where it's at. Try 6" forward for full left and 6" back for full right. No more silly and slow steering wheel.
Ahhhh ... If you're going to do it, go all the way. Fly by wire, like an Airbus. Set up your steering box and pump with some reverse flow solenoids and a joystick like from a Fisher snow plow and use the joystick to control which valve is open and which is return. Hydraulic steering without the conventional steering wheel interface. 6" forward and back? NAH! More like an inch each way, max.

Of course, it isn't street legal, but when has that ever stopped a creative gearhead?

Eagle said:
Ahhhh ... If you're going to do it, go all the way. Fly by wire, like an Airbus. Set up your steering box and pump with some reverse flow solenoids and a joystick like from a Fisher snow plow and use the joystick to control which valve is open and which is return. Hydraulic steering without the conventional steering wheel interface. 6" forward and back? NAH! More like an inch each way, max.

Of course, it isn't street legal, but when has that ever stopped a creative gearhead?

That would be great steering. I could have fun all day at 80.

That would take more concentration that this guy (driving boat from pic above), and he's not even in any rough water??????????

wiperbutton.jpg

haha . i live in a town and lots of turning involved. its REALLY handy for spinning the wheels. take it for what its worth.. its all stainless one . and im in the coast guard and love driving boats so i get a kick out of it..

I never understood those balls... I drive with one hand and just use my palm.

Hell I failed my driver's test the first time because I palmed it.

I understand it somewhat. I used to live on a farm and all the tractors had one cause its something like 24 turns from one stop to the other. I just wanna know what its made of for $70, gold??

Go down to your local tractor dealership and pick it up for like $5-$10. It'll even come with a vinyl coating in your choice of colors.

Nitro,
He bought it at west marine. West Marine = pay higher prices for Kragen stuff becuase you'll use it in a marine environment. Everyone, or I thought everyone in the CG knew that.
Silverstreak,
Where you at? I was stationed at Block Island when the light was manned. Hated it.
Tom

I'm old so I remember why these things were invented.. When cars and trucks were hard to steer because they lacked power steering these things came in handy to gain a little leverage. I don't see the need unless you lack power steering. My dad had one in the 40 Chevy pick up I learned to drive in. It had a picture of Betty Grable in the center of it.
If you need it use it but for goodness sake $70 is outrageous!!!!

when i spend to much money on something are you gonna whine about it 4 months later? geez man your not a woman

Back