• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mileage question??

pa_muddin_xj

NAXJA Forum User
So it seems to me like the jeep cherokee is a fairly well built vehicle, considering that many of you have well over 100,000 miles on your odometers. is this true? also many jeeps i've been looking at buying have at least 80,000 or more. I wanna buy an xj here in the near future and was wondering what kind of mileage i can expect to rack up on one with the original motor and doing the routine maintence and oil changes. thanks

pa_muddin_xj said:
So it seems to me like the jeep cherokee is a fairly well built vehicle, considering that many of you have well over 100,000 miles on your odometers. is this true? also many jeeps i've been looking at buying have at least 80,000 or more. I wanna buy an xj here in the near future and was wondering what kind of mileage i can expect to rack up on one with the original motor and doing the routine maintence and oil changes. thanks

I wondered the same thing years ago when I bought my '89 4.0L auto with about 80k miles on the clock. Now, it's over 260k miles and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it 'cross country tomorrow. Sure, it's had some maintenance/repairs but the head's never been off yet.

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one with 100k-200k miles with a pristine (no rust) body.

I second that. I had a 90 xj with 4.0L and sold it with 201,000 miles on it at the time of sale. I wanted to keep it, but it wasn't in the bugdet since I had just bought a 99 xj classic with 88,400 miles on its 4.0L I love the Cherokee, and like XJXJ wrote, if I knew then what I know now, I would have kept both. XJ's RULE!

We don't even consider 80K as being broken in. With good maintenance, 200K is pretty common.

102k on mine and the only thing I've replaced is the water pump at 90k. It's previous owner didn't go easy on it and neither have I; I don't plan to start anytime soon either. It's on a steady diet of Mobil1 synthetics in everything but the tranny. But that's just more for my own peace of mind.

The 4.0/AW4 auto tranny combo should give you 250k easily with regular maintenance & proper tuning.

Good luck with your search,

Chad

pa_muddin_xj: what part of PA are you from?

1988 XJ 4.0L 5-speed. Purchased new. Now at something like 247,000 miles. Head has never been off, valve cover has never been off. Still gets 22 MPG highway.

Eagle said:
1988 XJ 4.0L 5-speed. Purchased new. Now at something like 247,000 miles. Head has never been off, valve cover has never been off. Still gets 22 MPG highway.

How do you get 22 MPG?

Yeah, I sometimes get 22mpg on level highway, low altitude driving with little wind and I'm running an unopened 4.0 with over 260k miles. Stock tires, suspension, everything. My average is around 20mpg highway depending on hills, wind, speed, etc. For what it's worth, I've probably burned around 1,000 tanks of gasoline so I think I gotta pretty good feel for my trip odometer and fuel usage.

Seems like every XJ I see anymore has over 100k on them. I was trying to buy one a coupleof years ago and it almost got a little bit hard to find out under 100k almost....even if it was only 3-5 years old...

Back