• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 swap

jeepsx3

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 mj with an AW4 30-40le that is in need of a rebuild. I can get an AW4 from a 96xj. I have read some of the threads and think I will have a spline count difference (21 vs 23) on the TC shaft. Both have NP231. Any other issues I need to know about? TCU or ECU possibly? Is the 96 a different model #, ie. 30-43le? If so what are the differences? Thanks for any help.

jeepsx3 said:
I have an 87 mj with an AW4 30-40le that is in need of a rebuild. I can get an AW4 from a 96xj. I have read some of the threads and think I will have a spline count difference (21 vs 23) on the TC shaft. Both have NP231. Any other issues I need to know about? TCU or ECU possibly? Is the 96 a different model #, ie. 30-43le? If so what are the differences? Thanks for any help.

We just put one from a 96 into a 88 and the TC Input was the ONLY issue. Everything else was the same all plugs and everything.

That's good news. The 96 has the TC attached so I can get it too and trade out. Did you happen to note the model # of the 96 trans?

I swapped an 88 AW4 and 242 into a 94 when i converted to 4WD, have had no issues with it.

You will however need to swap the speedo gear and housing from the 96 (elec) to the 87's manual speedo.

You might also want to swap the throttle kickdown cable, going from 88 to 94 i found the cable to short for the HO assembly, you may not have an issue with length going the opposite direction.

Do a search on here for AW4....someone had problems with the TCU plug when doing their swap. I think it involved a 96 also...

Back