• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good Shops in DC/MD/Northern VA (????)

wescam

NAXJA Forum User
If everything goes well, I'm doing a deal on a 2001 XJ this week.

It has lower miles than my 2002 WRX, and I've done everything I wanted to do with the WRX (and I'm kind of tired of it lately). I'm getting a great price for it, thank God.

Anyway, I live in an apartment, and I have no tools. I'm military, and not from this area, so I don't have a big social network.

Over time, I plan to join a local Jeep or 4x4 club, and I've chatted with another "new to XJ" guy on the board who's also kind of in the same situation. You know wanting to get some work done, but needing folks to help out.

Along with that, can any of you reccomend a local 4x4 shop?

I still can't decide what modifications I will make first, and honestly I don't mind paying a decent price to have complex things installed well. But, I have NO idea how much cash it would cost for mods! None of the sites ever list prices, heh.

For example, something wild, like an RE 4.5" lift, SYE and gears? I'd imagine that's tons of hours of mechanic work.... but no idea of the cost.

Same goes for simple stuff, like putting on rock rails. I wonder if I could do that myself (buying tools, jackstands, drill rather than paying a shop)

Any comments from folk in the area?

I did find a shop reccomended by a local club called Adrenaline Off-Road up in MD, but their "local shops" page had more than a few other places.

Thanks in advance.

JBFried67 said:
I've used High-Tech Auto & Truck Center in Chantilly, VA (703) 968-6648.
Very happy with their knowledge and service.

Thanks for the reply, I'll contact them and compare.

Anyone else? :D

IMO, spend the money buying a decent set of tools, jackstands, and jack. buy the lift, find some local jeepers/members of local offroad club, and have an install get-together.

benifits: you get to meet the local 4x4'ers, you gain the knowledge of doing it yourself, and you get tools. with a shop, you get none of that.

as for the gears, i'd get a good shop to install those. but the lift and other bolt-on stuff, take the time and do them yourself or with some help.

Yeah, been talking to him.

Also a guy down by Roanoke (sp).

Thanks.

Edit...

And yeah, I've decided to get the mech to do the nasty stuff and maybe get in on some wrench parties, learn some stuff by helping, and then doing some of the stuff to save $$.

Back