• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

putting HP 44 onto my Waggy front axle

seanR

Want to puff on my pipe?
NAXJA Member
Any one taken the HP pumpkin off of a F-250 front axle and mated it to a set of Waggy front tubes?
I was just wondering, I have both lying around and thought, MMMMM...

seanR said:
Any one taken the HP pumpkin off of a F-250 front axle and mated it to a set of Waggy front tubes?
I was just wondering, I have both lying around and thought, MMMMM...
Interesting concept...
I don't see why it wouldn't work. You'd be able to weld the tubes in and get the caster and pinion angle you want.
I'm wondering how to get the tubes OUT of the pumpkin, though.

Capt. Nemo said:
Why? I'm confused by what that would accomplish.
The only advantage I can see is the welds at the pumpkin are much smaller than at the knuckle...

seanR said:
I would get a High pinion diff with out shortening the axle tubes.
It would get rid of the radius arms.
I could keep the waggy axle shafts.

If you think it's simpler to swap tubes rather than narrow, you've got another thing coming.

Narrowing a 44 is so simple, a village idiot could do it.

CRASH

CRASH said:
If you think it's simpler to swap tubes rather than narrow, you've got another thing coming.

Narrowing a 44 is so simple, a village idiot could do it.

CRASH

I dont know about that. I know of some very big idiots in my village :dunce:

And its not me:D

AARON

CRASH said:
.....a village idiot could do it.

CRASH

I'm not so sure about that, he might be better off getting a good supply of cheap booze and getting the rest of the MWC to work on it for him.

Sean, cast mounts with multi piece tubes are 3" or 3.25" OD tubes. The welded mounts with one piece tubes are 2.75" the same as your waggy.

You could do that with the earlier style, but you would be pure bark eater to want to.

1. Getting the plug welds cleaned out of the housing is a bieatch unless it chucked in a mill. Since it's a round tube you end up having to cut into the crown to get them all out. Then you have to press the tubes out.

2. Gots to do dat four times. (once for each tube if your missing your fingers)

3. Then you have to get the tubes pressed back in. Double bieatch.

Suggestion. Talk oneton into retubing your 44HP to the width for your waggy axles. If he won't find someone else. I think Currie charges $300, WMS machine or one of the others might be cheaper. Save some shipping charges by cutting the tubes off first.

I'd also agree that narrowing the HP axle is going to be easier. I just finished one up and it was a lot easier than I expected.

Last edited:
Back