• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I found losts of rust in my interior. Also didn't all XJs come with an ashtray light?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Last night I pulled down my dash to replace the ashray light bulb. It wasn't working, so I assumed the bulb was burnt. I unscrewed the dash and saw that the majority of the metal parts under there are covered in spotted surface rust. There was some on just about everything metal (brackets, wiring connectors, etc). What would be the best way to combat this? It's a '96 XJ with 69k and no rust anywhere else.

Another thing I also found was there was no ashtray light at all. The hole was cut out in the dash for it, but there was no light socket or mounting bracket for it. There was one on my '90, and I would assume there would be one in all XJs? Did I just get skipped, a factory option, or was it removed earlier in it's life?

Re: I found losts of rust in my interior. Also didn't all XJs come with an ashtray light?

the rust is just from moistoir (sp?) that has gotten trapped under the dash no big deal and an ashtray light? neither one of my 2 xj's past 85 and recent86 had that and neither does the 85 i am considering buying as a toy/dd/ w/e i decide thing. and combating the rust just get like some brillo pad or steel whool works best and get most of rust of of metal parts and put a light coat of wd40 (w=water d=displacement 40=i have no idea oil weight?) like with a rag to avoid a mess over the newly scrubbed down peices.

T-rent
or just
Trent
its all good.

Re: I found losts of rust in my interior. Also didn't all XJs come with an ashtray light?

My (long gone) '90 didn't come with a light in the ashtray. If I remember correctly it was pre-wired and I just grabbed a socket out of a wreck in the junkyard.

My 90 Pioneer has an ashtray light so I would think especially everything above that would too, but I dunno.

Back