• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How reliable is '97 manual transmission?

sbxj

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a chance to pick up a '97 4X, 4.0L with manual tranny. I only know my automatic has been bulletproof. Can someone please advise.
The Jeep has 150k on it but has been very well cared for and has a set of new BFG A/T's. Their asking $4900? Good deal or not? Thanks

sbxj said:
I've got a chance to pick up a '97 4X, 4.0L with manual tranny. I only know my automatic has been bulletproof. Can someone please advise.
The Jeep has 150k on it but has been very well cared for and has a set of new BFG A/T's. Their asking $4900? Good deal or not? Thanks
I don't know about the 97 but 98 is same exact one (AX15) and I've moved it from mine 98 (which rolled) at 150K to the 97 and so far I've put probably at least 10K more on it (hard to tell at this point as I"ve played musical chairs with the clusters so my mileage is way off). Anyways, you might have to service the clutch on it, but the tranny will take a fair amount of abuse (crossing my fingers so that I don't jinx myself here).
The only thing that is a matter of discussion is what to use in it. The manual specifically calls for GL3 spec oil which is available from the dealer only at abotu $15 a quart (you need about 4 quarts IIRC). Some say that they have used other oils with success, but for every one of those I see another pop up every so often saying that that oil ruined their synchros (has to to with the additive in gl5 and some synth oils: supposedly redline is good, and some have used mobil 1 with success, and also some have used gl3-5 spec oil, while for others those oils have failed. In any case it's your choice).

In regards to a good deal or not: what is the vehicle history? what are the options? What is the trim? SE? Sport? does it look like it's leaking anywhere? (rear main and so on).

It's definitely the AX-15 if it's got the 4.0L - they ran those from mid-89 through 'til '99 when they were replaced with the NV3550 (00-01 SE models)

Good tranny - very solid

Back