• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axel Gearing Question

jeepinairman

NAXJA Forum User
hey all...looked around and thought i would just ask as i have been pondering some things..

#1...not to sounds too green...but i dont really understand gearing in axels...do i want higher gears to run bigger tires?..or lower gears?....and why would i regear to start with?..more torque?...

#2 i have an 89 XJ limited 242 d30 d35 auto trans 3'' rustys sp 31s....what gears to do i have?...the rear is a trac-loc d35

and last but not least i want a locker (been seeing lots of threads about that so i wont Hasta ) but do I NEED to regear to run a locker?

thanks for the input......any links with good info on gearing or just plan smack me in the eye info works better....
later
:us:

jeepinairman said:
hey all...looked around and thought i would just ask as i have been pondering some things..

#1...not to sounds too green...but i dont really understand gearing in axels...do i want higher gears to run bigger tires?..or lower gears?....and why would i regear to start with?..more torque?...

#2 i have an 89 XJ limited 242 d30 d35 auto trans 3'' rustys sp 31s....what gears to do i have?...the rear is a trac-loc d35

and last but not least i want a locker (been seeing lots of threads about that so i wont Hasta ) but do I NEED to regear to run a locker?

thanks for the input......any links with good info on gearing or just plan smack me in the eye info works better....
later
#1... lower gears use a higher numerical number... 4.56:1 are "lower" than 3.55:1... it is a basic mechanical gear ratio..... a larger tire has a larger circumference, hence it will roll farther in a single revolution... think about a multi-speed bicycle... you change gears to run the tire faster withthe same amount of leg work.. harder to start out in the wrong gear isnt it??? larger tires on the same gears will have a similar effect...

2#..... your auto trans rig will have 3.55:1 gears....

3#... why do you feel you need a locker?? you can do alotof wheeling without a locker.. there are locker that do not require a major disassembly of the gear carrier (commonly called lunchbox lockers.. lock-right, ez locker, powertrax.. to name a few) others like detroits and ARBs are a full replacement of the gear carrier...
there is a certain point at which you need to get a new carrier to run deeper/lower gears.. this would be a good time to upgrade to a carrier-style locker....

Good answers Mike (the bicycle one sounds real famliar)

ah...that makes sense i guess....thats kinda the explaination i was looking for.....kinda how i was understanding it also......the only reason i want a locker is better traction...and i was going to go with the "lunchbox" style in my dana turdy in the front cause i have the tracloc rear that still works.....she is capable now but ya know you can always go better..

so should i wait to regear when iget my locker?...or just regear now and wait or just get the locker now and wait on the regear.....my tires are pretty new and when its time for new ones im getting 33s ...but i have the money for either regearing or a locker now....suggestions?...advice?....thanks

The lunchbox type locker can be installed without tearing into the gear setup. It can be done in as little as 45 minutes with experience and the right tools. If it is the first time, figure three hours.

jeepinairman said:
i have the money for either regearing or a locker now

Big difference in price.

If you buy gears you will need them for the front and back and install kits front and back. So say $400 - 600
Then you will need to have them installed say another $500
Gear Total: $1000 +

If you get a locker (lockright) for the front $225
You can install it your self, more than likely.
Locker Total: $225 plus 2 - 3 hours

OH :wow:

didnt realize the gears would cost that much..

and yes i can install it myself..this is has been the best training too ever for DIY projects......i have learned so much....i think i could handle a locker....

would stock gears handle 32s??....

i have been seeing things about this aussie locker on here.....but havent seen any in jeep parts mags......any thoughts on that?

and what kind of special tools would i need for a locker *(lockright etc)

i have a crap load of tools but again i have never delt with axels or gearing or anything before.........would i need to run different oil too?thanks

Gears are not one of the places I'd recommend teaching yourself to DIY...it gets real spendy when you screw it up. If you have someone experienced nearby that you can work with to set them up that's best even if you have to sweep the shop floor for a year in trade.

Will stock gears handle 32s? Sure, but dig around in the archives and look for a thread called "3.55s and 32s" or something similar...it's a looooong read.

Back