• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Borla Header Interchangabilty

redyouch

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 87 4.2 wrangler with a borla header. will this fit on a cherokee 4.0L? and if not, what kind of modifications are necessary? also, are all year borla headers the same for the 4.0L? thanks

Borla list two different part numbers for the different models. I would call Borla @ 877.GO.BORLA - (877.462.6752). Good Luck

Woody

HO and non-HO 4.0 engines use heads with slightly different port locations. I think that non-HO 4.0s use the same head or at least a compatable one as the 4.2s. So, if you have a non-HO 4.0 in your XJ it may be possible to use your existing header. I’ve also been told that you can redrill the locating pins to make it work, but I’ve never tried it. I believe that all 4.0 HO engines up to ’99 use the same header. At least the Banks header on my ’91 XJ has the same part number as ones used on TJs and XJs up to ’99.

Borla claims for straight compatibility you should buy the header for just 87-90. So if your Cherokee is between 87-90 that would be the one for you.
However not sure what year your XJ is so I couldn't help ya a whole lot. I think the year span is 87-90 and 91-99 not absolutely positive though.
Collin

The only difference between the HO and non-HO header I could find was the spot for the EGR tube. The intakes have different port locations but I could my old header worked fine on the new motor.

From what I've read about swapping a 4.0 head on the 4.2's the exhaust manifold won't swap. Go down to the parts store and compare the gaskets, that would be an easy way to verify any differences.

Back