• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1985 Wagoneer XJ?

jfiscus

NAXJA Forum User
I'm picking up a 'cherokee' tonight for $200.00, but it has me a little confused.

It is an 85 with a straight 4cyl and auto tranny. (It has 'command-trac' badge on the rear I think)

I thought that the waggoneers came with wood grain decals and trim pieces.
This one has a brown body (no sign of stickers or repaint) and yellow/tan interior.

I also thought that wagoneers had 4 headlight, but this one is set up just like a regular cherokee - except the grill has narrower slots.

Are these just option packages or something? Or are the 'wagoneer' badges not original? (I haven't had a chance to really look at the title/vin for any information yet)

jfiscus said:
I thought that the waggoneers came with wood grain decals and trim pieces.
Not all came with the 'woody'
jfiscus said:
I also thought that wagoneers had 4 headlight, but this one is set up just like a regular cherokee - except the grill has narrower slots.
I have never seem one with out the four head light set up, but it is possible that some one changed the front end, I had to do that on mine, some one else I know did that here also.

seanR said:
I have never seem one with out the four head light set up, but it is possible that some one changed the front end, I had to do that on mine, some one else I know did that here also.

It seemed to have 'chromed' pieces around everything on the front end. like headlighy/turn surrounds and I think the grill is even chrome, but it all looked like it matched. what should I look for to tell if it has been modified?

btw, good god a yellow interior is ugly looking on a brown xj.

JEEPZZ said:
The early Waggys were available with the standard 2 headlight setup.
yup, there's one just up the road from here that's identical to what you describe. 2 headlights, narrow slat grill, lotsa chrome, no wood grain, nasty biege color with an even worse interior. I think the 2 headlight waggy's disappeared the same time as the 4cyl waggys.

Back