• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pacesetter Headers for a 93?

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Guys,

I need to get a new exhaust manifold and have been considering the less expensive Pacesetter ones, dispite mixed reviews here. I am wondering though, they only list them for 87-92 XJ's. I have a 93, what is going to be missing, or present that I do not have? I'm assuming the EGR, which I don't have. Can this be plugged so it's not a concern? Also if anyone has them, do they accept the OEM o2 sensor, or will I need to get a different one? I plan on replacing that anyway, so no biggie. Here is a link: http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=eProduct.asp&N=120+400091+302518&Nao=40

psm-70-1191_w.jpg

It looks like there are 2 bungs, one I assume to be the EGR (bung right below the dual tube on the middle section (furthest pipe to the right) and the second is on the #5 cylinder pipe on the main header (assume to be 02 bung), or do I have them swapped? Either way, would I be OK installing these on a 93?

Thanks!

Todd

I don't know about a 93 but I put a Pacesetter on my 90. I hated it! You have to extend the wiring for the O2 and the pipe runs to close to the oil drain plug. Makes it a pain to change oil plus the mess of the oil running on the exhaust.
This was just my experience but others may disagree.

I run a pace setter in my XJ... 87' with a 98' motor...

There is just a slight difference in the intake manafold to make it work on the newer style motor.
You will have to cut off a lug underneith, its not that big of a deal, and you should be able to figure out where and how much pretty easily.

The EGR, plug it.

The O2 sensor, Yes, OEM screws right in.

Otherwise everything should be included....

But you will have to relocate the O2 wireing.

Make sure and get the 2" clamps really tight!!! they like to leak and come apart should you hit a rock with your muffler.

Driveshaft clearance is another concern... I had it on my stock 91xj and I had to "clearance" the exhaust so the Yoke wouldn't run into the downpipes with a BFH.

Not so much a problem with my 87' when I had 4.5" lift.

Hope this helps.

You need to plug the EGR hole. Either with a screw in plug, or weld a steel disc over it.

The downpipe in that picture is cooler than the one I got.

Don't use the cardboard gaskets that come with it, buy a good one with metal inserts like the FelPro ones.

The black paint will take about 20 minutes to burn off once you start the motor. :laugh3:

Other than that it is a solid header, thick flange too. Excellent for the money, however from what I hear you get what you pay for with the more expensive brands. But I'm poor so it worked great for me.

Also: be sure to use the offset washers that come with it, since the header's flange is thicker than the intake's.

Last edited:
Thank you both very much, I think I'll be getting it then. It will be on a stroked 93 block, with a 2k1 intake manifold, hopefully that wil lmake no difference. I'll be getting the FelPro gasket as well, and some 1200deg ceramic paint for the header.

Thanks!

Tdd

Are you buying ceramic paint, or ordering the header with it already?

I got the one without the ceramic, hence the buning off black paint.

Never heard bad things about the one that comes with it. I'd assume if you're doing it yourself you would need to strip off the crappy black paint first.

I installed one about 3 mons ago. No probs. Iam running a 6.5 lift and have no clearance probs. I have an 87,I was able to reroute the wiring for the o2 sensor.So far it has been good for me.

Did u see much of a gain in power w/ the new header? I am thinking about picking this up also.

Thanks

Pretty good gain at top end, not much off idle but a little quicker response.

Seems to have a flatter curve than before but that's just measured with my ass-dyno. By this I mean that I didn't notice a defined jump in power at ~3k and drop off ~4k like I noticed stock; power smoothly increases all the way to redline with the header. Again, that's just by seat-of-the-pants dyno.:laugh3:

Cool thanks. Do you have any other power mods done to your jeep?

Cool thanks. Do you have any other power mods done to your jeep?

so i picked up a pacesetter header from summit last night and there are no problems w/ pipe being to close to the Oil drain plug but w/ my headers the pipe goes infront of my oil pan and rests ontop on my front diff. Does anyone else have this problem???? I'm not exactly sure if i want to have a big dent in my new headers before i drive even 2 miles.

Thanks guys.

Back