• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A couple of 3.4 swap questions.

vegeta

NAXJA Forum User
I'm doing a 3.4 swap over the next week or so but I have a few minor problems. The first one is a sensor just behind the timing cover. I think this a cam postion sensor. Does this need to be removed and blocked off, or can I just leave it where it is? Second, What is the difference btween the harmonic balancers? Other than a tone ring on the newer one I couldn't see anything. Does it matter which one I use? One last thing, for anybody that's running a similar setup(factory carb,ignition,manifolds) Do you think it's possible to get 200hp from this engine with a good tuneup, eletric fan, 2" full dual exhaust and a better breather setup? I'd appreciate hearing everyones opinion on this.

werent the 3.4's rated right around 200hp in the camaro's?
with the proper tuning you should be able to get pretty close.
I dont think with a carb you would get the full 200hp my guess would 10-15 hp off.
I dont know much about the other stuff but i'm interested too i have the 2.great in mine too

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they were rated at 160hp in the f bodies. The later 3.8 was rated at 200hp though. I figured I'd be down on power with the factory carb but a weber, or four barrel conversion just isn't in the budget right now. I'm debating on a later carb conversion between the holley truck avenger 470 or a weber so any opinions on this would be welcome. I will say the more I work with this motor(3.4) the more pleased I am with it. It has to be the lightest motor I've ever worked on. I literally picked up the 2.8 shortblock by myself and set it in the truckbed when I sent it on it's way to crappy engine heaven.

The GM 3.4 swap is popular with Isuzu Trooper guys. Maybe sniff around some 'Zu forums for some more info.

I think there is one called ITOG, and the 4X4wire.com Isuzu board seems active.

Also, try here: http://www.60degreev6.com/

Good Luck

Back