• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for an OEM XJ DS legnth source

whitfimb

NAXJA Forum User
I tried the search for driveshaft, came up with 17 but none related to OEM Drive shaft Legnth. I know that the rear driveshaft legnth is different with the 2wd vs 4wd, manual trans vs auto, and the D35 vs 8.25. With all the different combos available how many factory rear drive shaft combos are there and what are their legnth's.

Guess I'm getting a little technical :D Might be a $30 Question...

Michael

Ok NAXJA I'm saving my lunch money...

Auto AW4 D35

I know the stock auto D35 drive shaft is 30.5 inches from eye center to eye center.

HTH

Bill90XJ

And the D44 shaft is longer and I would think the 2WD is even longer than that. Anyone know the lengths of the D44 shaft and the 2WD shaft? Rear of course!

No the D44 shaft is shorter, because the D44 has a longer pinion snout. I'm also not sure if the 231 and 242 transfer cases might no affect this.

Whitfimb, instead of collecting a boat load of irrelevant data, tell us what engine, tranny, transfer case and rear axle you have and someone who has that equipment can measure their drive shaft for you. Or are you looking to make up a chart of DS lengths for swap purposes? If so, please say that, and if you'll agtee to contribute the chart to the tech archives I think people would be willing to crawl around and contribute measurements "for the good of the cause."

Probably would be a good idea to specify a common measuring criterion, too ... such as centerline of u-joint to centerline of u-joint.

Members of the NAXJA Modified Tech Board

I am looking to make up a chart of XJ DS lengths for swap purposes? I'm more than happy to contribute the chart to the tech archives.

I am looking at swapping in a MJ Leaf pack (with main leaf) and relocating the rear axle. Having some knowledge of the DS legnth offered by Jeep will assist me in the decision of how to fab the new mounts. If I can use an OEM DS while relocating the rear axle back +1" - +3" that would make things easier.

I am looking for these dimensions in a standard measurement of centerline of u-joint to centerline of u-joint.

Currently aiming for 33"TSl's under my 1991 JX 4.0 HO 4-dr auto NP231 (Rear??? Looks like a 8.25, as my Wifes diff cover on her 94 ZJ M-35C looks much more round but this is no D-44)

Back