• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Body Swap Question

tlucas1972

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 91 4x4 with a 4.0 with a good bit of body damage and i have found a 86 2x4 with a good body and very good price how hard would it be to swap my motor, trans, transfer case, and front end over to the 86 and what about computer and other elect.

The 86 will have the "short" engine compartment that wasn't designed for the 4.0L engine. You will have a lot of work to do if you undertake this swap. Also, the '86 was the AMC Renix wiring system, which was totally differnt from the Chrysler system in your 91. If the 86 is a V6 there no computer, but the speedo is mechanical and the instrument cluster polarity is opposite from your 91. If the 86 is a 4-cyl, it uses a Renix throttle body injection that's wired completely different from the 91 and newer Chrysler multi-port systems.

Ideally, you should be looking for another 91 or newer chassis. Certainly an 87 or newer to accomodate the 4.0L engine.

Back