• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee CV Joints 1991-2001?

By "in front" do you mean the single CV joint on the front driveshaft? Yes, Eagle is going to come in here and tell us that it's not really a 'CV joint' but that's beside the point. If you're talking about the axle itself, there's no CV joint there, only a 260 or 297 u-joint.

jayeepxj said:
well I thought that there was 2 Cv Ruber boots that are in the front.

thanks
Not from 1991 thru 2001.

The older AMC XJs used a true CV front driveshaft and CV axles in the Wagoneer models.

So there are no cv rubber boots in the front of a 1990-2001 Jeep XJ.
So the Cherokee is like the Wrangler YJ, as in there are only u-joints to replace and nothing protected by a rubber boot that could break or tear in the front end? I know there is only 2 u-joints in the back and 2 in the front right? Thats great i thought the XJ had them like most Suv's do.

thanks

Actually, there are 5 u-joints in the front. One on each outer axle. One on the driveshaft at the pinion end. And that big chunk of metal at the transfer case end of the front driveshaft is a double cardan joint (sometime referred to as a CV joint) that incorporates two u-joints in it.

Actually there are cherokees out there with CV front axle shafts.
**Im not talking driveshaft**
Ive been looking into this and there are part numbers for CV axleshafts.
I dont know if they come in 3 or 5 bearing setups or what.
To maintain them, make sure the boot isnt broken, if it is replace it before water can get in and grease it.
If it makes noise it has to be replaced/rebuilt.
74_1_b.JPG

creeperjeep said:
Actually there are cherokees out there with CV front axle shafts.
**Im not talking driveshaft**
Ive been looking into this and there are part numbers for CV axleshafts.
Echo???
Eagle said:
The older AMC XJs used a true CV front driveshaft and CV axles in the Wagoneer models.

I thought I read somewhere that the all-wheel drive onlys used the C/V type joints in the front, and all the others used a universal type.

I have an 85 xj wagoneer with cv style axles. I am about to replace my front left because it is clicking pretty bad. Has anyone replaced one yet? If so I could use the info. I would rather have the cv style with my 2.5 four cylinder than u-joints for a better turning radius and also no binding in the cv under tight turns and on the gas.

Back