• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 86' 2.5 tbi shuts off while driving

mean94xj

NAXJA Forum User
the title tells it all, but heres the gritty details. the engine will run fine at idle in park if its getting gas, but as soon as it goes into drive (auto) it will bog down or shut off. along with that this little gizmo i think its the cruise control or something starts clicking for a few seconds after the engine shuts down. and occasionaly it will idle exessivly high but it hasnt been happening lately for some odd reason. it just wont run while in gear. the weird thing is it all started when i took a sharp left turn and she just sputtered and died. if theres any info out there id appreciate it

the clicking you hear is the idle control thing... my 86 does the same thing when it dies what it is doing is trying to give it some fuel even though it has allready shut off as for it dying i cant be to sure except for maybe the same problem mine currently has as well and that is the TB injector is clogged i have the 5 spd so i can keep it running while driving but it has such a loss of power it isnt even practicle to drive at all like it is rihgt now. maybe that will help some sorry for the problems.

Trent

yeah great to know someone else has to put up with the same bs. The crappy TBI injection coupled with some of the best wiring systems put into a vehicle are whats probly causing it like u said. Fool thing of it is i wanna get it fixed but at the same time i just think it just not really worth the expense.

M.G

yea all you really have to do is take some TBI cleaner or carb cleaner and spay out the TBI and wipe it out and take off the TBI (there are 4 bolts holding it to the intake) and spray some cleaner on the injector itself (be sure to get a new gasket where the TBI bolts to the intake) and spray the injector and try and wipe it down real well. thast what i was gonna do on mine i just havent yet i got pissed at it cause of the rear main leaking like a fish and decided i was gonna buy an 85 with the 3.4l out of a camaro and an 8 in lift on 34's but yea i plan on doing it on my 86 as well cause i would like to keep it around as a second 4x4 to have.

Back