• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Highest mileage 4.0?

Mikel

NAXJA Forum User
What's the highest mileage unrebuilt 4.0 out there? Mine only has 180K and judging by how nicely it runs it should last a long time...

Mine has 196K, and runs like new, never a hiccup. With regular oil changes and religious maintenance, 300-400,000 is not a problem!

205k on my odometer but I've had bigger tires since 140k so I'm sure more than that. Despite the loudness of it, runs great. I've seen them get up to 410k though.

I had one of the 92 4.ol s in my YJ with 230 000 kms. When i bought it it was running smooth. By the time i had drove it back home [ same day ] it was really making a loud ticking sound [ pistion slap or valves ]. It ran awsome and had lots of power and i ran the shit out of it. Sold it after i was drinking one day and whent about 140 km an hour for about 2 mins and realized it was still in 4-hi after i got off the trail. [ Funny how i just got off the trail and pinned it to 4600 rpm in 3rd and yes i am serious 4 hi can go that fast! ].

I also had a 1991 Islander edition 4.oL and it had a HT AND it was taken care off when i got it, but it was the same with this one [ they get loud after you rev them all the time.] it only takes a few weeks to start to notice the engine changing sounds. But i think they are an awsome engine.

I am going for a 2-door 2.5L 4X4

270 on my 89 MJ...No problems at all with it but i am throwing an HO top end on it to add some performance to it..

91 xj odometer says 235K but im thinking more like 250K since i run with 33" and 3.55 for a long time.

290k and pulled the engine apart to build a stroker out of it. Bearings, both rod and mains were still good, pistons were a little scratched but still good. The cylinders were 0.011 out from top to bottom. Still running good when I pulled it. Good engines in my opinion!

Ken

My 87' XJ Wagoneer has 315,000 never rebuilt or taken apart for any reason still runs and drives awsome that is with 140k on my 6" sykjacker RR kit with 33" swamper ssr's
my 91' XJ has 140k runs great and has 6" teraflex grandup kit with rear coils and 33" goodyear mtr's
my 94' has 173k and runs like new (still stock except for the 30x9.50 BFG AT's

I like reading threads like this - I'm looking forward to my '01 XJ with only 16K lasting a very long time :)

My ladlord had a 94 with 290k on it. He gave it away because he was afraid to sell it for the fear of it giving up on who ever bought it! Man I wish I would have known at the time.

Back