• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sorry, another lift question.

Jeepsterboy101

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I finally decided on what lift I am going to order after a little research. I am going to be ordering the RE6030 3.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit. I already have a T-case drop so I am hoping that will hold till I can get the SYE. So is there anything else I should get when I am ordering this kit? I know I am going to need some shocks, any suggestions for those? Can't be too expensive. I just need to know if I am missing anything because I want to get this all on before March 4th cause there is a big run then. Anyways, thanks in advance for any help.

-Scott

EDIT: Anyone know of a good place to order the kit? I need it asap. So far I am just going to order it from RE's website. Thanks again.

As I just posted on another's question. Be sure to look at the brake lines. Too short of a brake line and too much flex can be bad. The fronts can be straightened out and remounted lower one the "frame". The rear can be made to work with a new bracket to mount it to the "frame" or a longer line may need to be installed.

Daryl

Edit: DPG Offroad, Dirks good with XJer's

Last edited:
spray down the rear upper shock bolts and leafspring bolts with penetrating oil because those are really tough to remove if you live in the rust belt.
expect vibes because the leafsprings sit very high, you will probably get like 4.5" of lift in the back. i would go down to jeep like i did and order all new suspension bolts. you might have to use a torch to get some of them off and having new ones to put in saves you a few trips to the parts store.

Jeepsterboy101 said:
Well, I finally decided on what lift I am going to order after a little research. I am going to be ordering the RE6030 3.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit..

When I was searching to buy my lift about a month ago RE was having a offer with the 3.5" superflex , that the shocks were included ,check it out.Finally I went with the Rough Country 3" with shocks for $200

My father-in-law ordered his RE 3" kit from Quadratec and another one of my XJ buddies ordered his direct from RE. They are all within a few dollars of each other as far as the price of the kit itself. Basically you will end up shopping around for the best price on shipping.
I'm not into vendor-bashing, but if you're mailing your money do not order from OffRoadToyStore.com. I ordered my RE kit from them a month before a planned wheeling trip and they lost my check (even sent it via certified mail!). It wouldn't have been so bad, but it was a cashier's check (which I thought would be safer than a personal check). But I discovered that in KS, the bank is required to wait 90 DAYS before they can cancel a certified check. So I ended up being the only member of our 10-vehicle wheeling trip with a rig at stock height!
I have had great luck with Quadratec so far. They will even create an order# for you if you call them and tell them what you want and that you're mailing your payment. They might be a little more $$ than someone else but good customer service goes a long way with me.
If you're not mailing your payment, then nevermind.
At least I did some healthy venting!

i ordered mine from jeepin.com
they were really friendly.
they allowed me to order the re kit and substitute other parts like shims instead of a tcase drop, etc.
i remember there prices being pretty good to
most important though, find a place close by because shipping on heavy leafsprings and things gets expensive when going cross country

Unless your really fixed on being 3.5" I would just you get the 4.5" kit. By the time you get the upgrades I would have suggested(track bar, fr. brake lines, upper arms) you might as well get the RE6131.

Yea, Quadratec is great for customer service. I ordered my Skyjacker kit and rims and a couple other things from them for my last XJ and didn't have any problems at all. I will give them a call too. I guess it just depends on who can ship it the fastest and cheapest because I want to get all my problems worked out before the run. I'll also check out DPG Offroad. Thanks for all the quick responses, keep 'em comin'!

-Scott

Pietro said:
i ordered mine from jeepin.com
they were really friendly.
they allowed me to order the re kit and substitute other parts like shims instead of a tcase drop, etc.
i remember there prices being pretty good to
most important though, find a place close by because shipping on heavy leafsprings and things gets expensive when going cross country

Thanks, I will look into them also. I know this is off-topic for the post but what are shims? Something for the driveshaft right? Still trying to learn everything.

MontanaXJ said:
Unless your really fixed on being 3.5" I would just you get the 4.5" kit. By the time you get the upgrades I would have suggested(track bar, fr. brake lines, upper arms) you might as well get the RE6131.

Only reason I am going with the 3.5" right now is mainly because its a DD. Also, I want to try and get away with not getting a SYE and driveshaft right now. In a few months I plan on getting the Daystar coil spacers and shackle lift to boost me up a little higher. That's when I plan on doing the SYE and getting the drivetrain situated.

shims are placed between the axle housing perch and the leaf spring, they point the pinion yoke where the driveshaft bolts to up or down.
you should search the web on driveline info

when you install a cv driveshaft on tall jeeps, you need to point the pinion at the tcase output, the shim allows you to do so

go to tom woods or high angle driveline websites, they probably have a good write up on different driveshaft setups and how to find the correct shim size

i agree with montana xj, you might as well get the 4.5" kit for a little more money

if it is your dd, you WILL want to get a sye for either size kit so your truck drives smooth

having the nice trackbar and control arms is nice with the taller kit
save your money and get a good kit, dont piece together something one at a time because you will spend more that way

i got the sye, re lift, and driveshaft all at once, so the job is done right, didnt waste my time messing with a dropped tcase

recommend getting jks disconnects for the front, i heard that the re discos suck (at least the old ones, i think they just came out with some fancy new ones) jeepin.com can upgrade your kit with the jks ones for a few bucks more

Definitly cheaper in the long run to get it right the first time. You will still have to buy upper arms, and adjustables would be prefered. If you get the RE6130, or in my case the RE/DPG 5" Hybrid you can replace the fixed arms for adj. for $50 or $100 for both upper and lower adjs.

Alright, thanks for all the great info. I will look more into the shims but I have a basic idea now. Yea, I think you guys are right and I should just order the 4.5" and the SYE. I am just trying to keep the suspension part below 1500 bucks for now so I still can get my rims and tires.

i popped for adjustable uppers only so i could adjust pinion angle
i think the 3.5" doesnt come with shackles, right?
those you need definitely
i got the hd trackbar because i didn't think the one you bolt to the stock bracket is very sturdy, i could be wrong

one thing i noticed on mine, the trackbar bolt on the axle housing elongated the hole, i have a very heavy front bullbar and winch
you should reinforce this mount with some extra steel while your in there
that trackbar takes a lot of abuse with big tires and the mount on the axle is paper thin

MontanaXJ said:
Definitly cheaper in the long run to get it right the first time. You will still have to buy upper arms, and adjustables would be prefered. If you get the RE6130, or in my case the RE/DPG 5" Hybrid you can replace the fixed arms for adj. for $50 or $100 for both upper and lower adjs.

How long would I be okay without buying the upper arms?

Jeepsterboy101 said:
Thanks, I will look into them also. I know this is off-topic for the post but what are shims? Something for the driveshaft right? Still trying to learn everything.
Actually, most vendors should let you do that; RE designs the kits so you can swap parts around like that. That said, I believe I ordered my 4.5" through Jason @jeepin.com as well and appreciated the service.

Shims are used on the rear axle to change the angle of the pinion when they are inserted between the axle pad and spring. Without an SYE you are supposed to run the t-case output and pinion at the same angle to minimize vibrations, but with an SYE the pinion is supposed to point up along the driveshaft. We use axle shims to make those adjustments.

you should just keep saving for the kit you REALLY want and not sacrifice right now

if you absolutely need to get a little taller, buy a cheap budget boost, you can get the re 2" with shocks for 200 bucks i think, you might even find take out BB kits on ebay or something for cheaper than 100 bucks

with some sawzall work, you could get a narrow 31 or 32 in there with the right backspacing and bumpstops

that way, you wouldn't have driveline mods to deal with and the only thing you need to worry about is the shitty gas mileage with those big tires and stock gears

Jeepsterboy101 said:
How long would I be okay without buying the upper arms?
Depends. If your pinion angle ends up okay you will be fine. The Super Flex uppers will do just that, help you flex super. As you move your lift up the uppers will become to short.

Back