• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED's on a '92 XJ

Spidey

NAXJA Forum User
I have read a lot about the LED's on post '95 models, so I figured that I would be safe in switching my bulbs to LED's (since I have the old style flasher).
Installed all of my bulbs and a Grote Industries flasher (PN 01-4489-12) and I now have a couple of issues:
1) Parking lamps are very dim (probably due to hazy lenses and the fact that the housings were designed to reflect light from a standard bulb, but I would like a second opinion).
2) When the headlights are on, my sidemarker lamps do not work at all. With the headlights off, they blink in snyc (no boy band jokes, please) with the turn signal/parking lamps.
There are only two reasons I can think of which could cause the problem with my side markers - I do not have LED's installed in the rear side marker locations (yet), and I have upgraded the backup lamp bulbs to a halogen bulb.
Any recommendations?

I seem to recall the topic of a resistor coming up with many of the LED writeups I've read but i have to admit not paying much attention to the location or reason; do you have one installed wherever the hack they are needed?

My first guess would be to put the stock flasher back in. I would be willing to bet that will fix it.

So you are using the stock housings, with led bulbs inside? Or am I misunderstanding?

Matt

new to posting on forum so bear with me, spidey,the way i understand led lighting the resistance is alot lower w/led bulb.the flasher needs enuf resistance to warm up,or activate, enuf to flash/interupt electrical flow. there shoulb be a newer style flasher that needs less resistance to work. ie it is made for led style bulb. grote makes a lot of led lighting for heavy duty trucking, they should offer a low resistance flasher as well. hope this info helps

Thanks for the tip, nnvxj!
I was told by the shop who sold it to me that the Grote flasher I purchased was a low resistance flasher. But maybe they didn't give me the correct one. This particular shop specializes more in sport compacts and imports than SUV's and trucks. Maybe they just sold me their universal low-resistance flasher. From your analysis, I'm guessing that those tiny bulbs in the side markers just aren't getting enough juice to light up when the rest of the lights are on.

Hmm. I've got a 92 xj and i installed FarmerMatt's LED taillights. It blew the stock flashers, but, i went to autozone and picked up the same partnumber again and, the stock style flashers again, and, it works fine, normal speed and all.

Tylor

92Jeeper, how are you liking those FarmerMatt tail lights?
I have been considering those, but wondered how difficult the conversion was...

There's been a few threads on here about the various LED tail light housings that are available now, including FarmerMatt's. I'm running a set and am very happy with them. Install wasn't all that bad, just cutting and striping some wires, and crimping on connectors. You can see my install pics at http://photos.yahoo.com/bigjeep95

Nice photos! And a nice looking XJ too! You have the Bushwacker flares like I want to ger for mine.
The tail lamps look much better than I expected.
My original thought was to replace my stock housings (which are very cloudy) and then add the metal tail light guards.
But the Farmer lights are starting to grow on me.
I'm guessing you could also paint the steel housings with your vehicle's body color if you wanted to.
Hmmm, I guess I have another option to consider...

Back