• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockers VS Daily Driver

xjrrrdx

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting my tax return so I am going to be getting the powertrax. Now, I am considering whether to get the front or rear. I have the 8.25 27 spline in rear, and D30 LP in front. If i got a front locker would that hurt the powertrain or risk wearing anything out? Which would give me the best adgantage on the trail, BUT more importantly which would suit better as a DD. I did do a search but nothing to what I really was looking for.

Lots of info on this just do a little search n'. I personally run 4.88's, Detroit lockers Frt/Rear, and 33 TSL's on my DD without a single complaint. Snow and Ice take some getting use to, but I wouldn't change anything with my set up.

My Jeep got NoSlip rear diff its a DD and I love it, I don"t spin tires on wet pavement like some "cool dudes" while making turns trying to "impress" others. I just fire up both rear tires from get-go and drift sideways LOL :roll:

LET THE FORCE BE WITH YOU :worship:

I have a Detroit Tru-Trac in the front and limited slip in the rear...It does well wheelin' and it is Totally UNNOTICEABLE on the street.

John

I have lockrights front and rear on my dd. Cant think of a single complaint against them except for the usual clicks in a corner. Driving in the rain just gets more fun with lockers!

My 98's 8.25 has an auburn, took some getting used to in the snow again and on sand, has tendency to push you straight no matter what way the wheels are turned if you stay on the gas. Let off and it turns normally. I would tend to go with the rear first, front can be kind of strange on slippery stuff from what I have heard. If I was going to go with a front I'd go with an ox locker vs arb with air and eaton with electric.

Since it's a 27 spline, you might want to go to a full carrier replacement locker like the Detroit.

Itr seems a shame to put $400 into it as a 27. The conversion to 29 spline would incur the additional cost of a different carrier. The powertrax + the carrier is about the same as the Detroit (I think). Then about $300 for Dutchman 29 spline axles with bearings and lugs...

bburge

I have a Detroit in the 44 rear, and No-Slip in the HP44 front.
The Detroit is well-mannered, so I haven't needed the front axle yet in the snow.
I DO have manual hubs, so the front is a non-issue on the street.

Back