• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm welding my 35!!!!

jeepinxj05

NAXJA Forum User
Well, my lockrite is for what we think to be a chrysler 8.25" axle, so tomorrow im weldin up the gears. if i dont like it, were just gonna cut it all out w/ a torch and put my friends old spider gears in. I'm also w/in a few months gonna be gettin an 8.25" for like $100 locally. Just lettin everyone know. How much tire wear ya'll think im gonna be gettin??

jeepinxj05 said:
Well, my lockrite is for what we think to be a chrysler 8.25" axle, so tomorrow im weldin up the gears. if i dont like it, were just gonna cut it all out w/ a torch and put my friends old spider gears in. I'm also w/in a few months gonna be gettin an 8.25" for like $100 locally. Just lettin everyone know. How much tire wear ya'll think im gonna be gettin??
Your welding D35? You must have missed this thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46374

You're actually telling us about this?

Better to keep it to yourself........

:)

just dont let me be the one stuck on the trail behind you

Tireware -
well my bud has a spool in his YJ with a 9" rear end and he gets about 1 year or 12,000 miles to his 35x12.5 TSL Radials

so - expect to loose 10-20% of your tread before you put in your 8.25

question -
Why dont you put in your buddy's spider gears and weld them - rather than yours that you know work well...?

Your treadwear will be great. Wheels on broken axles don't spin much :laugh3:

jeepinxj05 said:
if i dont like it, were just gonna cut it all out w/ a torch and put my friends old spider gears in.
I hope you have more than spare spiders,
Diff cover,
Pinion,
Bearings,
Races,

Oh and a way to get home when the stuff flys out the diff cover!

Some people wheel harder than others, so it's hard to tell if you are really going to break an axle, even though the odds are much greater now that you are going to weld the gears. Just think about it, when you weld the gears, you are adding 100% more stress to the axle that is getting all the grip. If you really feel like replacing your axles when they break, that's fine, but don't just hope that you'll be one of the lucky ones, because the odds really aren't on your side.

Mine have been welded for the last two months and two wheelin trips. It's not a daily driver so the only road time is too and from the trails. I do scrub alot and I see the excessive wear in my tires. I like the way it wheels' now but I won't do it when I upgrade. I also have to baby my 35 on the trails because even though I can replace an axle on the trail, I don't want to slow everyone else down.

The only reason I welded it was because I wheel in the soft stuff. If I was on rocks or hard stuff I wouldn't weld them. A D35 is not strong enough.

my $.02

Mine has been welded for 2 years. No broken shafts on 33s. It is a non c-clip D35 though so if I break I can still drive the rig.

I have been waiting for it to break to upgrade but the dang thing just won't go!

No highway driving really, trail rig only for the most part on the rocks.

i agree why buy a locker that is worth more than the axle it self? i havent wheeled mine yet im still working on the front arms to get the dang thing to sit level. but i will tell you how it wheels when i get back from our river trip.

I love how all the people who've never done it know all about it.

I did it with my 31's, never gave me a problem. That said, I only did it for a few months and then put in a 44.

Now a run a spool in my 44 and it's still a daily driver. Tire wear isn't an issue, the trail tears my tires up more than a little scrubbing on the street. I don't know anyone who's actually worn out a set of tires before buying newer/larger ones anyway.

Back