• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 4.0 clunker in Boston needs a home!

Matthew Currie

NAXJA Member #760
OK, here's the deal: My daughter has an 87 4.0 with AW4, currently sitting on the street in Boston (where she lives until later in the month), with a ruptured brake line. She can't get anybody to just fix the brake line without doing 600 bucks of brake work, etc. and I'm not that eager to go to Boston and work on double-flares under a Jeep on some side street in the urban jungle.

In the meantime, various relatives have pooled resources and bought her another car, which will be ready soon. So we need to get rid of that Jeep, preferably without her killing herself trying to drive it back to Vermont, preferably before the end of the month.

This Jeep is rusty, old, worn, and in need of work, but runs strong and has a good transmission and a new alternator. Last I knew it had a fairly new windshield, and no outstanding issues with suspension, drivetrain, etc. except for sagging rear springs. It is black, with dark red/burgundy interior, and I think the seats are in pretty good shape.

It does have something like 230 thousand miles on it, leaks, and looks pretty shabby. The emission controls are toast, floors patched, and... well, you get the picture. It's a beater.

At this point our main interest is to find a home for the thing, preferably close enough to Boston so that some intrepid soul would come and fetch the thing himself. It is currently running but the brakes are somewhere between horrible and non-existent. The rear line rusted out and she has crimped off the line so that there is a vestige of front brakes remaining, but it's iffy.

At this point, although I haven't discussed this in detail, I believe she would be willing to give the thing away, or nearly so. So, if anyone would like to follow up on this, please email me

I just must ad i am very very very interested in this thing. how much ya think it is to rent a U-Haul tow dolly or something like that for a day?

later,

eric

thanx for the info man! i must say i'm stoked right now if i can somehow get ahold of this thing.

eric

Vultures every last one of ya...

Whereabouts in "Boston" is this thing... My lil brother could fetch it easy from the area and stash it back.

Dunno that my pile in NC needs another rusty XJ beater... but Mom has plenty of room :dunno:

woody said:
Vultures every last one of ya...

Whereabouts in "Boston" is this thing... My lil brother could fetch it easy from the area and stash it back.

Dunno that my pile in NC needs another rusty XJ beater... but Mom has plenty of room :dunno:

It's somewhere near Mission Hill - I don't know exactly where it is currently resting, but it's parked on the street somewhere. I guess at this point Eric91 has the first shot, pending a response from the actual owner of the thing, but if he decides he doesn't want it, I'll let you know.

If it doesn't get snagged up, I'd be willin gto take the trip to come get it. Keep us informed.

Hey matt,

I just got off the fone with your daughter, it all sounds pretty good right now, i'm still just working on a way to get it back here to new york, but we talked about it and i should be able to work something out in the next few days or maybe week or two at the most hopefully. I'm dying to get my hands on this thing, thinking about tearing it down and restoring it, should be exciting though.

Thank you very much,

Eric

Update:

Eric wasn't able to arrange for towing before the car had to be removed from Boston. It's now been driven back to Vermont, and the plan is to fix a few of its major issues (brake lines, sticky throttle cable, broken hood release) enough to make it roadworthy, and then sell it.

If anyone is still interested in pursuing this, let me know. By the way, I forgot in the original post that the windshield is badly cracked (again!). I have a used but decent windshield that might be included in the deal. the rear wiper is no-operative, and one rear door handle is broken, too. When the hood release broke, my daughter had to put a chain in to keep the battery from being stolen, and the grille is now broken, but we have a spare black grille here.

Back