• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mj driveshaft

littlexj1 said:
have any idea how much longer....i have a company that can shorten if its to long but they cannt add to one

How could they have the ability to shorten one but not lengthen one?

Shortening an MJ driveshaft isn't as easy as you think. It's a two-piece driveshaft. Not two sections, but an inner tube and an outer tube, separated by a rubber insert. The u-joint on one end is attached to the inner tube, and on the other end it's attached to the outer tube. It would probably be cheaper to have an XJ shaft lengthened than to shorten an MJ shaft.

Eagle said:
Shortening an MJ driveshaft isn't as easy as you think. It's a two-piece driveshaft. Not two sections, but an inner tube and an outer tube, separated by a rubber insert. The u-joint on one end is attached to the inner tube, and on the other end it's attached to the outer tube. It would probably be cheaper to have an XJ shaft lengthened than to shorten an MJ shaft.
mine (88 shortbed, 4.0/ba10/231) was not two piece as you describe. I cut it apart after jacking it up on some trails and it was just one length of tube with identically sized yokes on the ends.

The 2 piece d-shaft (89 4.0 5spd 2WD) is about 4" OD and weighs about 40 lbs. I used a chevy Nova 70's d-shaft and changed the yoke to fit the trans. The MJ 2=wd is about 53" C-Center

MJs used both kinds of driveshafts over the years, but I haven't been able to figure out any discernable pattern. I had my 2wd tube-in-a-tube shaft shortened when I converted to 4wd (since I was installing a TJ t-case and a Ford 9", no stocker would be quite right). The t-case end in shorten-able, the axle end is not. If this is the kind of shaft you have, it'll be fairly obvious what I mean.
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

Back