• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disco or non disco?

davelbert

NAXJA Member #1079
I acquired a disco (motor removed and plated) front d30 with 4.56 gears, lockrite and tj axles. I currently have a non disco stock d30. both diff housings have the same numbers on the rear (30 7A1). The disco housing has seen much action i.e stripped cover bolts, rock scars and many bracket changes. My question is can I efficiently swap, pinion in particular, from one housing to the other?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

davelbert said:
I acquired a disco (motor removed and plated) front d30 with 4.56 gears, lockrite and tj axles. I currently have a non disco stock d30. both diff housings have the same numbers on the rear (30 7A1). The disco housing has seen much action i.e stripped cover bolts, rock scars and many bracket changes. My question is can I efficiently swap, pinion in particular, from one housing to the other?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

should bolt right up. i dont think the pinion u joint size ever changed in XJs. they did go from high pinion to low pinion but i think its still the same size u joints.

I should clarify. I would like swap the "guts" from the modified disco to the stock non disco currently installed on my xj.

Will I need to re-shim the pinion and will the carrier and bearings tranfer?

thanks,

Dave

davelbert said:
I should clarify. I would like swap the "guts" from the modified disco to the stock non disco currently installed on my xj.

Will I need to re-shim the pinion and will the carrier and bearings tranfer?

thanks,

Dave

ahh gotcha, why cant you just swap the whole axle? and yes you would need to set the backlash when if you were to swap the guts. every set of gears is set of to that specific axle and i dont think you can just throw the lower gears in there. I think everything will transfer you just need to set the backlash

Yes and Yes.

You can swap the guts but they will have to be reset within the donor housing. You may need more shims but OTOH maybe less, one way or another... I'd probably get a new pinion shaft nut for the swap.

davelbert said:

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Is it a TJ housing?

RCP Phx said:
Is it a TJ housing?

No. both are from XJs.

part of my original curiousity is which housing is better, the disco or non? does it matter? I had considered moving my axle track bar mount above the axle, with the JKS bracket, to make room for x-over steering but the shift motor housing seems to be in the way. I did some research and no longer fear the gear/locker/axle swap. So it's only a question of which housing can take more abuse.

Thanks,

Dave

davelbert said:
No. both are from XJs.

part of my original curiousity is which housing is better, the disco or non? does it matter? I had considered moving my axle track bar mount above the axle, with the JKS bracket, to make room for x-over steering but the shift motor housing seems to be in the way. I did some research and no longer fear the gear/locker/axle swap. So it's only a question of which housing can take more abuse.

Thanks,

Dave

i would say non-disco since it is one solid tube, but i dont it would be significant.

87CherokeeChief said:
i would say non-disco since it is one solid tube, but i dont it would be significant.
Could be true, but I've also heard the other way since there is more metal with the disco unit. But either way the difference can't be much.

Daryl

Back