• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch problem continues...

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Ok, so i was having this clutch disengagement problem on my 92 4.0L, AX-15, 231:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43899&highlight=clutch

I opted to replace the M/C because i found a cheap one, and probably had the origonal one - and all my research led me to believe that was the problem.
The install went great, figured out the retaining pin thing, stuck it in there, hooked it all up, I bled the system and massive amounts of grey stuff came out, as well as a lot of air bubbles - and then test drove it. I was really happy as i had no problems - it felt like i had a new clutch (as far as where it disengaged).

This worked for about a week and then one day, after about 10 minuted of driving, I lost all my clutch presure and couldnt get it to disengage at all. Luckily i was in a parking lot at that point.
So, i set the e-brake and pop the hood, check fluid level in the clutch MC and there isnt any in the resivor. Also teh little rubber thing that retains pressure on the system as the fluid leve drops has been sucked in as far as it can.

So - i either have a leak in my line somewhere, i didnt tighten the bleeder valve all the way last time, and the presure just messed me over, or i have a bad slave right?

how hard is it to replace a slave? does it require seperating the trans / engine? according to this thread, it seems that it would.

any other cool ideas?
Im going to try to bleed and refill the system tomorrow and see how far that gets me. anything i should look for?

thanks
-Ranger-

I think 92Xjs have the external SC. Someone will correct me if not.
In that case, changing it is easy and doesn't require separating the tranny. The toughest part is bleeding it right.
First, detach the hydraulic line. The SC is attached to the bellhousing by two bolts. Take them out, and the SC is out. Reverse and it's in. Just make sure the plunger is in the right place.

easy to tell if its leaking and where from....fill the master cylinder....pump the pedal...you will feel in the pedal when it starts to pull fluid from the MC...when it does start looking at the bottom of the bell housing if it leaks fluid the slave cylinder is shot...also check the plastic line that connects the MC to the SC...mine melted once from the exhaust manifold....next time you replace anything in the system its always a good idea to replace both and flush the plastic line...if you do replace the SC buy a clutch pack...a good kit comes with the SC, clutch, pressure plate, and install tool....then your only ripping the tranny out once and you dont have to do it again when the clutch goes...

littlexj1 said:
easy to tell if its leaking and where from....fill the master cylinder....pump the pedal...you will feel in the pedal when it starts to pull fluid from the MC...when it does start looking at the bottom of the bell housing if it leaks fluid the slave cylinder is shot...also check the plastic line that connects the MC to the SC...mine melted once from the exhaust manifold....next time you replace anything in the system its always a good idea to replace both and flush the plastic line...if you do replace the SC buy a clutch pack...a good kit comes with the SC, clutch, pressure plate, and install tool....then your only ripping the tranny out once and you dont have to do it again when the clutch goes...

doh!
that is terrible
ok
thanks for the help guys...

Not sure if that one had a reservoir that you needed to swap over or not. My 89 did. I kept losing fluid and finally re-tightened the "hoseclamp" that holds the reservoir on the MC. No more lost fluid. Not sure if yours is like that or not. If so, tighten it up some and recheck.

ok fixed it - finnaly got a chance to get out under the jeep. I guess that i didnt tighten the bleeder valve all the way last time.
There was no leakage out of the bottom of the bellhousing - so ill assume for now that my SC is good.

My new master that i put in has an attached resivor - no hose clamp as well, but thanks.

thanks for the help guys...

And my slave is internal (at least its not outside the tranny...)

Back