• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on purchasing a 97+ XJ

rumblebelly

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for a 97 or newer Cherokee, looking to spend less than $10K. I'm trying to find out what improvements have been made over the past 4 years. I'm basically just gonna use it as a daily driver. Thanks in advance!

Greg

You may find some useful information here. My preference would be for a 2000 or 2001, largely due to most of them having lower miles - but the distributorless ignition is a major plus.

I bought a dark red 2000 Classic 72k miles on it. I never thought I'd ever buy anything red but as my fiancee says, it's a "masculine red". It was literally calling my name from under the hood and it's drop dead gorgeous. The only problem it has is that it needs some scheduled maintanence and the speakers don't work (pretty sure the problem is on the radio's end).

Uh, I have a stupid question. I'm used to driving a manual jeep with part time 4wd. Is it safe to put the transfer case of my automatic xj in neutral or 4L while the transmission is in drive (stopped of course) or do I need to put the transmission in park or neutral? It wouldn't budge when I was still in drive but when I put it in neutral the transfer case lever slid into 4L just fine.

The jeep didn't come with a manual (need to buy one) and I wanna be safe before I mess with it too much more.

You have to be stopped and put it in neutral to put in 4wheel low...And the same to get it back in 4 wheel high and 2 wheel high...4 wheel high only one you can do while driving...so you got the latter right...

John4wd...

Back